New Ryzen 2nd APU NEEDS bios update on old boards?

Ima OpGamer

Honorable
Apr 29, 2016
I am currently considering buying a 2nd Ryzen processor because better value for money and like the LGA 1151 on Intel they will need bios update for older boards. The new x470 boards are out of my budget and I was thinking on a msi b350 tomohawk instead.

Was wondering will it still work without a bios update beforehand. Im switching from Intel so I have no AMD Ryzen cpu to throw onto the board beforehand and update the bios and then install the 2nd Apu. I've read that the update was to support the Vegas graphics so if I buy the b350 motherboard with the Ryzen 2400 and have a dedicated gpu for display. Can I use that setup to update the bios to support the new cpu?

Sorry if it's a little complicated, would just like to know.

This was much more of a problem a few months ago. Today, if you are buying from a reputable dealer that cycles through its inventory like Newegg or Amazon, those older boards with earlier BIOS revisions should be out of the supply system. If you are buying from a shop, they should be able to either verify that the board has the updated BIOS or update it for you. Failing any of that vapour has provided the link to where AMD will help you out, but honestly I don't think you will have an issue at all given the amount of time that has passed and how popular Ryzen has been thus far.