Question New Ryzen 3600 build running at 0.54 Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2019
Hello guys,

I'm hoping you can help me. I've built a new pc today and for some reason the ryzen 3600 keep underclocking it's self to 0.54 ghz? Temps are fine when its running at normal speed, I also noticed when at normal speed it doesn't go above 4.0ghz.

I seem to be getting a few minutes at normal speed then the clock speed drops to 0.54, I don't have game boost or any other OC running, I have tried everything I can think of, is the CPU faulty?

Ryzen 3600 stock cooler
16gb 3200 Corshair vengence
RX 5700 xt Evoke
MSI b450 Gaming plus max with latest bios
650w Corshair VS

The only way to get the clock speed back is to restart but then after a few minutes it drops again. I disabled XMP just incase.

THis isn't only on idle, it's happening in game (pub G) and Cinebench

I would appreciate your help, I'm really bummed out I've been looking forward to gaming!

Last edited:

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
The motherboard should be B0 stepping to support Ryzen 3600, see the compatibility documentation. It is easy to test your computer with some Linux distribution. Using Debian Sid Xfce is trouble free and it is easy to solve problems when using open source software. You have many options to choose, like kernels, desktops and filesystems. AMD has open source graphics drivers for gaming and closed source drivers for CAD software etc. The dmesg command shows device driver messages.

Sep 20, 2019
Hey, the mobo is a b450 max variant by MSI they were made to run the 3000 series out of the box but it has the latest bios installed, its the first thing I did after reading about the issues with the older bios's

Does anyone else have any idea?

Could it be software?
Im worried the PSU is damaged or the board or the CPU?

All parts are new

Sep 20, 2019
I've primed a 750 evga gold+

I reinstalled the os and bios and drivers, cpu isn't dropped to 0.45 anymore but cinebench is still 900 vs the 3k it should be, I'll test with the new PSU but if that doesn't work is the chip bad or is the mobo fried?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I've primed a 750 evga gold+

I reinstalled the os and bios and drivers, cpu isn't dropped to 0.45 anymore but cinebench is still 900 vs the 3k it should be, I'll test with the new PSU but if that doesn't work is the chip bad or is the mobo fried?
I call this ridiculous that i have to spend lot more money and time just have something working at full potential (Citizenry 3rd Gen)

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
When i run Ryzen Master on my 3900X system, it also shows the CPU speed as 500 Mhz on idle. When under load, it will peak at 4400 MHz. I don't think that is an issue.

AMD is under pressure now because a lot of upset users are reporting that the CPU does not reach advertised speeds (my 3900X only hits 4400 MHz, a lot lower than the claimed 4600 MHz). Another factor is that AMD rates that their CPU is only rated to reach actual speed on one (or maybe more) core(s). The rest of the cores may not even come close to the rated speed (my CPU AVERAGES 4200 MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.