Question New Ryzen 3600 running constantly over 90 degrees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hi
I just upgraded from an I5 6600k to a Ryzen 3600 and am using the stock cooler which came with it. I play PUBG and Ive noticed that pretty much from the moment I start a game the CPU temp fluctuates between about 90-94 degrees which I assume to be bad news ...

Surely this isnt normal? Why is it running so hot and what can I do to resolve this? Ive checked and cpu fan is def spinning

InvalidError

Titan
All 4 screws are attached to heatsink and tightened as far as they can go (they have a mechanism to avoid over tightening.
My question about how you tightened the screw isn't about how tight they were since as you pointed out, the screws cannot go any deeper than bottoming out on the threads, it was about HOW you tightened the screws.

If you screw the first screw down until it bottoms out, pressure is already on the paste and it may start squeezing out toward the opposite side, even more so if you drive down both screws on the same side. Now that the paste has been shaped into a wedge by uneven pressure, driving the opposite side screws will cause the HSF to get jacked off the CPU by that wedge. To avoid that, you get all four screws started a few turns, then get them down to where you start feeling some resistance in an X pattern to seat it evenly against the paste, THEN you can finish tightening by starting the X pattern over again. Similar to lug nuts on car wheels, got to clamp down evenly if you want to make certain it goes down straight the first time every time.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
For the first reply thanks for the steer on windows. I will run a fresh install now (not sure you needed to include all the exclamation marks mind you..)
With regards to tightening screws I did it in a cross approach as per the countless videos on line but appreciate the check

For the first reply thanks for the steer on windows. I will run a fresh install now (not sure you needed to include all the exclamation marks mind you..)
With regards to tightening screws I did it in a cross approach as per the countless videos on line but appreciate the check

Well if you don't like the exclamation marks don't pay attention to them, they were not intended to be personal, but to emphasize the "fact" that I was trying to point out. In any case the amount of exclamation marks does not change the advice I tried to give you. Is up to you to try it out or not. It may make things better or not.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Well if you don't like the exclamation marks don't pay attention to them, they were not intended to be personal, but to emphasize the "fact" that I was trying to point out. In any case the amount of exclamation marks does not change the advice I tried to give you. Is up to you to try it out or not. It may make things better or not.
I have just finished creating a usb stick with windows so will install fresh tomorrow. I am a bit of a noob with all this and read many posts that said you don't need to reinstall with windows 10 as it sorts itself out , which it seemed to do ie it booted but obviously I'm desperate to try anything which fixes this CPU temp issue and I welcome your advice.
Let's just hope I can work out how to install windows :)

I have just finished creating a usb stick with windows so will install fresh tomorrow. I am a bit of a noob with all this and read many posts that said you don't need to reinstall with windows 10 as it sorts itself out , which it seemed to do ie it booted but obviously I'm desperate to try anything which fixes this CPU temp issue and I welcome your advice.
Let's just hope I can work out how to install windows :)

I will give you another advice, Im not an expert of any sorts, just someone with many years of working with PC, and I don't have english as my natural languge, but when I have "IT" doubts I always try to look for the very knowledge people. They can make mistakes like any human, but none of them would tell you "Nah, don't need to install Windows again if you are changing motherboard and CPU, if it boot up, you are good to go"

Windows 10 can work some weird mojos, but can't do miracles.

- One thing is to upgrade the CPU using the same motherboard......

- Another thing is to change the motherboard and CPU (but still keeping the same brand (for example old Intel-> new Intel, or old AMD->new AMD)...... (In this situations you may still be lucky enough to not suffer any major disadvantage).

- And a millon miles away very diferent thing is to go from Intel to AMD and try to use the same Windows installation, that is most likely a 99.99% recipe for major problems.

Last edited:

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
I have done a fresh windows install and also installed a new case fan.
The CPU temps remain as per my last post ie 45 idle, 75 with game open in lobby and 90 after playing for a few mins :(