Question New Ryzen 5 5600x not working in B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WiFi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 16, 2023
I recently purchased an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x CPU to install in my MSI B450 Ganing Pro Carbon Max WiFi motherboard.

Specs for the pc:
CPU and MB as mentioned
GPU - PNY GTX 1050 ti xlr8
RAM - 16gb Gskill Trident z rgb (2x 8gb)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 500w rgb 80+ gold
SSD - Samsung 980 m.2 1Tb with Windows 10 OS

I already updated the BIOS to one of the newest versions which isn’t in a beta version (currently 7B85v2C0). When I installed the cpu and turned it on, the CPU debug light flashed red on and of a few times very slowly, then the VGA debug light flashed red for a few seconds, and then the boot debug light turned solid red. It pulls up the BIOS but won’t start windows.

Has anyone has this problem before and could anyone provide help?

Last edited:
Solution
I followed all of those steps, when I put the new cpu in, the same issue I had at the start happened. It opened the bios and I checked back and the cpu fTPM was turned back on automatically, so I just saved and exited, making sure the boot drive is on there, and now the boot light is solid red with nothing on screen (if I restart it pulls bios back up)

you can try this to see if this as well see if you can do this i found this from a post from another post

I’m not finding the Windows WHQL setting, which would normally be under windows os config right?
That's where it was in the initial BIOS, but sometimes things change.
Does the red light mean that there’s an issue with the hardware? Or does it just mean that it cannot boot up properly? (Apologies I’m fairly new to PC building)
As long as your storage hardware is showing up in the BIOS then it just means it cannot boot properly. The warning should cover both a hardware failure and a simple inability to boot.

Reactions: AllNaturalBeef
I followed all of those steps, when I put the new cpu in, the same issue I had at the start happened. It opened the bios and I checked back and the cpu fTPM was turned back on automatically, so I just saved and exited, making sure the boot drive is on there, and now the boot light is solid red with nothing on screen (if I restart it pulls bios back up)
did you make sure before hand that the cpu ryzen 5 1600 ftpm was saved in the bios as off.

the windows 10 is looking for ryzen 5 1600 ftpm settings so when you have the ryzen 5 1600 in the motherboard make sure that is turned off in the bios and save while that cpu is in the motherboard and save.

otherwise i would contact msi i think its a board issue not a cpu issue msi motherboards are a royal pain in the rear is why i stay clear of them

i use
asrock/asus/gigabyte

gigabyte being less so but still better then msi

i stay clear of msi as ive had issues from

ram slots not working correctly ( common)
motherboard dead on arrival ( common)
fan headers pushing fans beyond spec

just to name a few

you can try this to see if this as well see if you can do this i found this from a post from another post

Solution
Jul 16, 2023

Okay, I followed the steps in the bottom link you posted. I had to change the advanced boot setting to CSM, then it allowed me to select the hard drive as the primary boot device. Once I restarted it opened windows! Everything works good! Thanks so much to everyone for helping me figure this out! It saved me a lot of stress and money!

Reactions: thestryker
Okay, I followed the steps in the bottom link you posted. I had to change the advanced boot setting to CSM, then it allowed me to select the hard drive as the primary boot device. Once I restarted it opened windows! Everything works good! Thanks so much to everyone for helping me figure this out! It saved me a lot of stress and money!
no worries trust msi to make things overly complicated

noted i didnt have to go threw with this with asrock or gigabyte.

TRENDING THREADS