Question New Ryzen 5800X Build BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2020
Hi! I built a new gaming PC yesterday after receiving my Ryzen 5800x. Around 30 minutes to an hour after a fresh install I get a “WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR” BSOD. Once I log back in that I get the same BSOD after a few seconds every single time. It also happens while in safe mode. My motherboard is the Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI AC) and I’ve tried all three BIOS that are compatible with Ryzen 5000 series (2311, 2402, 2502). I thought it was due to enabling D.O.C.P in the BIOS for my G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb (8x4) 3200CL14 but it also happens when I run my RAM at the stock speeds @ 2133Mhz. To fully confirm that it isn’t my RAM I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics application with zero issues. Any idea of what the problem could be?

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 5800X @ Stock
Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI AC
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb (8x4) 3200Mhz CL14 (Running stock @ 2133Mhz)
Nvidia 3080 FE @ Stock
Corsair 850W PSU
NZXT Kraken Z73 AIO (Running NZXT CAM Beta @ Fixed Speeds 100% every fan, including case fans)
NZXT H710i Case
Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD
Samsung 850 SATA SSD

Every program and driver is up to date, including Windows version 20H2 which was freshly installed via USB onto my Samsung 980 Pro SSD. Sadly I would include a BSOD dump and other diagnostic data but as stated above my computer would not give me enough time before an BSOD.

Thank you in advance!

Hey all,

I was able to finally score a 5800x at a local microcenter. It was an in place upgrade from my 3900x to the 5800x with nothing else changed. The 3900x and all the other parts have run stable for over a year. Not a single BSOD.

When I installed the 5800x I ran a simple stress test and zero problems. But after gaming for a little while, I started getting BSOD and it was a real bother. I made sure all my chipset and other drivers and BIOS were up to date. I went back to an older november 4th drivers and still BSOD. I know my components are good and I tried my ram as base 2133mhz speed, nada. Still had the BSOD. No overclock, I tried ECO mode and Default modes, and still BSOD.

Then I noticed while watching ryzen master software that the clock speed and voltage fluctuate quite a bit, upwards of 1.45 volts and over 4.8ghz on some cores. This is with the default settings. My guess is that the bios is just not always stable at some clock speeds matched with certain voltages as they both fluctuate up and down. AMD might have been a little ambitious when binning my CPU.

I then manually set the the clock speed of the CPU to max out at 4400mhz and set the voltage at a fixed 1.35v. All other settings were left on Default and Auto. My computer has been rock steady every since, no more BSOD. I'll wait for some future bios updates, but for now I'll stick with these settings.

Reactions: Obiwancanabi
Where you able to find a solution to this? I have the 5950x with Gigabyte X570 Auros Master on Bios F31o. I get the same error. Not at the same frequency though, just random. Sometimes there is no BSOD and I just restart. Currently I am trying all settings at default + windows high performance mode + Disable "Core Performance Boost". We will see how it goes. So far no crashes but I am only 15 min in.

Manually setting mine to 1.35v and 4400mhz made mine stable for the last few days since fixing my voltage and frequency. I think it's the up and down nature of the frequency and bios that's causing the crashes(BSOD), they just don't have a stable bios yet. It's a performance loss but I'm GPU limited in Cyberpunk anyways.

Dec 22, 2020
Hey all,

I was able to finally score a 5800x at a local microcenter. It was an in place upgrade from my 3900x to the 5800x with nothing else changed. The 3900x and all the other parts have run stable for over a year. Not a single BSOD.

When I installed the 5800x I ran a simple stress test and zero problems. But after gaming for a little while, I started getting BSOD and it was a real bother. I made sure all my chipset and other drivers and BIOS were up to date. I went back to an older november 4th drivers and still BSOD. I know my components are good and I tried my ram as base 2133mhz speed, nada. Still had the BSOD. No overclock, I tried ECO mode and Default modes, and still BSOD.

Then I noticed while watching ryzen master software that the clock speed and voltage fluctuate quite a bit, upwards of 1.45 volts and over 4.8ghz on some cores. This is with the default settings. My guess is that the bios is just not always stable at some clock speeds matched with certain voltages as they both fluctuate up and down. AMD might have been a little ambitious when binning my CPU.

I then manually set the the clock speed of the CPU to max out at 4400mhz and set the voltage at a fixed 1.35v. All other settings were left on Default and Auto. My computer has been rock steady every since, no more BSOD. I'll wait for some future bios updates, but for now I'll stick with these settings.
I have a 5800x as well and I get BSOD when gaming for 5 to 20 minutes and I believe its the clock speed and voltage. I really want to set the values to what yours are but i dont know how. can you run in detail on how you changed these values thanks.

I have a 5800x as well and I get BSOD when gaming for 5 to 20 minutes and I believe its the clock speed and voltage. I really want to set the values to what yours are but i dont know how. can you run in detail on how you changed these values thanks.

What motherboard do you have? On my MSI, i can just type in the manual values in mV and Mhz.

My cpu is still stable since setting it to fixed values.

No, I think with Gigabyte you have to add or subtract values, you can't just type in the voltage.

If I remember correct, on gigabyte you have to change the CPU multiplier to 44 to get 4400mhz (44 x100mhz bus speed).

Does your bios look like this one? If so, you need to set the CPU Vcore voltage to 1.35v:
9224_05_gigabyte-amd-x570-ryzen-oc-guide_full.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020
No, I think with Gigabyte you have to add or subtract values, you can't just type in the voltage.

If I remember correct, on gigabyte you have to change the CPU multiplier to 44 to get 4400mhz (44 x100mhz bus speed).

Does your bios look like this one? If so, you need to set the CPU Vcore voltage to 1.35v:
yes this is what mine looks like i will change them now

Dec 22, 2020

Is it safe to change the values straight to 44 and 1.35 ?

Dec 25, 2020
Yea, I would just wait until the next AGESA update to try normal settings. I'm going to leave mine on fixed voltage/frequency until I'm confident in the BIOS stability.
Just wanted to thank you for typing all the info out to to previous poster. My system has been doing the same thing on a b550 auros and this fixed it for now. Unfortunately there was a bios update a few days ago and still getting these errors without your fix. Shame to pay $450 for a processor that can’t run on default settings.

Reactions: gggplaya
Hey! I just created an account to thank you for putting this up and typing instructions out for the other people. My bios was different but it helped me figure it out.

So I just build my computer (will put the parts below in case it helps someone else) and started playing Red Dead Redemption Two on Ultra. Started getting the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" BSOD after playing for 20-30 minutes. The crash were so reliably that I was using it to test fixes. Thought it was just RDR2 but Crusaders Kings 3 crashed the computer yesterday with the same BSOD error. Checked my RAM and Temperatures (everything within 50-65c) nothing seemed to be wrong there.

Have been searching around for issues with the GPU, but finally tried 5800x and ""WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and got to this forum post. Set my voltage to 1.35v and CPU to max out at 4400mhz and played an hour or so of RDR2 and no crashes (well beyond the normal crash points). So fingers crossed, going to play some more now for science. Will come back and report if the error returns.

Can someone explain what is causing this error, why the fix works, and why the processor is failing and should we be sending them back?

TL/DR: The fix appears to be working, but why does it work, and why is a £450 processer failing like this?

CPU: AMD 5800x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Aorus Master 8GB OC
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B550‑f Gaming(wi‑fi)
PSU: 750W
Ram: 16 gb 3200hz

I think AMD's binning validation process needs work or they need to shoot for lower frequency targets in Agesa.

This problem also means it could be a hardware issue

It was literally just a processor swap for me, from my 3900x to the 5800x. Hardware ran great with zero issues before the swap. I'm also using a really good gold power supply, so it's clean. I've seen reports on reddit of people trying several motherboards as well.

The processor runs fine at 4400mhz, so I really do think it's a binning issues because others have zero issues on default settings. We just didn't win the processor binning lottery and have lower capability chips. The chips we have should actually be a Ryzen 5800(nonX if one existed in the product stack) with a lower base and boost clock, about 200mhz lower.

AMD should do a recall or there should be a class action lawsuit. They should also get their binning process in order.

Last edited:
After installing Windows, did you allowed Windows update to finish all required updates before you installed drivers?
Did you installed the latest drivers for your AM4 motherboard platform from AMD website?

Just in case, disable Fast Startup in Power Settings and reboot.
Also check your BIOS, and disable any OC, even if done by manufacturer.
Even though I do not think is the RAM, having four RAM sticks could create more issues than just two modules.
Try only two RAM modules and see if the issue goes away.
Windows memory test is not reliable. I have used and gave zero issues on bad RAM. For RAM testing use Memetest86 from a USB flash drive.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020
After installing Windows, did you allowed Windows update to finish all required updates before you installed drivers?
Did you installed the latest drivers for your AM4 motherboard platform from AMD website?

Just in case, disable Fast Startup in Power Settings and reboot.
Also check your BIOS, and disable any OC, even if done by manufacturer.

There is no OC Yes I made sure windows is completely up to date. I installed the latest Chipset driver through my motherboards support site on my first fresh install. Then after receiving continuous BSOD's I wiped my SSD and installed windows a second time and that time I installed the Chipset driver via AMD's website. I'll try disabling Fast Startup.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
FWIW - I have a 3950X with ROG Crosshair VIII Formula. I updated to the 5000 BIOS compatible versions and had some WHEA errors and restarts (no BSOD - just crash with black screen & restart).

I don't overclock - just set DOCP. With g.skill 3600/CL16 RAM 2 x 16 GB. It defaults DIMM voltage to 1.35v. I upped to 1.36v and that seems to have helped.

From what I've read, 4 sticks of RAM seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.