Question New Ryzen build, loss of video signal

Aug 16, 2019
Ok, so this is going to be maybe a little long, but I’ve done a ton of troubleshooting and what to get it all out to help clarify as best I can:

Build:

Ryzen 9 3900x

Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi

EVGA 1080 Ti Sc Black Edition (11GB)

32GB Trident Z 3200 RGB (4x8)

Corsair RMx 750x PSU

CoolerMaster Masterliquid L240L RGB

Corsair MP510 250GB

Seagate 3TB

Lian Li Lancool Digital One (case)

Asus VG245H (x2)

Acer XF270H (x1)

So here’s the timeline – I’ve been assembling these parts since Prime day, waiting for the 3900x to be in stock. Last Friday/Saturday (8/9-10) I built the system. Saturday, everything worked fine. Windows installed, drivers, bios update, everything. The ONLY setting I changed in the BIOS was to put on XMP to have my memory actually run at 3200 MHz. After restart (since a few drivers/programs needed a restart anyway) I went into the BIOS and the XMP profile stayed the same.

Sunday (8/11) Turn on computer, use for approximately an hour, and all monitors go dead. All screens show no signal. I turn off the system, walk away for 10 minutes, come back, reseat the GPU, replug all monitors, reboot, everything appears to be running fine.

Monday (8/12) Turn on computer. No signal to monitors. Ok, this is tedious, but I’ll reseat the GPU again and replug cables. Except this time no change. There’s no signal to the monitors, and now the VGA LED on the motherboard is lit. Great. Now I’m thinking I need a new GPU.

Checked all cables, all inputs, reseated the memory (even though that’s not the error), reseat the GPU again (and check the contacts for damage/scratching/whatever). Nothing, no signal. Try an old RX580 GPU I have from my old system, still no picture. Now this GPU has been running on my Ryzen 5 1600x system for a year plus, so I plug it back into that system, boot, and no problem, system reads the GPU fine. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the motherboard, so I set up the return/exchange with Amazon and get another one sent.

Thursday (8/15) Receive new board. Rip everything out/off. Clean, reassemble. STILL NO SIGNAL. Ok… so now I’m pissed. Pull the CMOS battery and walk away for a bit, calm down, clear my head etc. Come back, replace the battery, nothing. I reseat the GPU. Try the board graphics, not that I’m expecting there to even be any, just in case, and there’s no signal. My next thought (probably later on the list than it should be) is to check the PSU. I take the PSU out of my old system (Corsair 550w), and use it to only power the board, the GPU and the CPU.. No signal. Try the RX580 GPU with the 550w and the new motherboard/cpu.. No signal

Like I’ve said, the system worked absolutely fine.. for about 10 hours. And after 10+ hours of troubleshooting… I’m lost.

So now I’m completely out of ideas. Everything has been swapped, I’ve tried using one stick of ram, in every slot (mobo manual says to use A2 so that was the first one I tried). Nothing is working. So I reach out to you folks. I’ve gotten really good tips/ideas from these forums in the past, and Gigabyte “support” says it could take up to 7 business days to get an answer.. Yea, I’m not waiting 2 weeks. NOPE. So if there’s anything ANYTHING I can try, please let me know. Should I just flip off Gigabyte and return it and get another company? Bought this board because of the plethora of USB, and as a streamer, between peripherals and webcam etc… USB is key. Thanks all.

Aug 16, 2019
ok, so questions related to that..
  1. why did it work for a day with all 4 populated
  2. When I was trying to troubleshoot, I tried booting with only 1 slot populated, and it still doesn't have any display.

There are 4 led's on this board, cpu, ram, vga and boot. It clears the CPU and the RAM fine, almost instantly, but gets stuck on the VGA light

Aug 16, 2019
@Ramlethal I've run a HDMI and a DP to the graphics card, an HDMI to the motherboard without the GPU installed, (even though I don't believe there is onboard graphics, figured I'd give it a shot). 2 different DP cables. Only have one HDMI. The DP cables are DP to HDMI.

Aug 16, 2019
Update: CPU is dead. Not sure why, or how. No power surges, shorts, anything. As soon as I took the 3900x out and installed my 1600x into the build it booted right up.

Now I get to deal with AMD RMA. fun fun..