[SOLVED] New Ryzen CPU acts like Old CPU

Dec 31, 2018
I recently got a r5 2600x and installed it, overclocked it to 3.8ghz and it performs the same as my old r5 1600 3.5ghz. I have no idea what could be the problem. I have a 1080 8gb, I am so confused

Solution
Update your motherboard bios. Do a clean install of your graphics drivers. Download and install ALL the latest drivers from your motherboard product page for chipset, audio, network adapter and storage controllers.

If that doesn't help, do a clean install of Windows and THEN update those drivers again to the latest versions.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has...
Update your motherboard bios. Do a clean install of your graphics drivers. Download and install ALL the latest drivers from your motherboard product page for chipset, audio, network adapter and storage controllers.

If that doesn't help, do a clean install of Windows and THEN update those drivers again to the latest versions.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

Solution

Phazoner

Distinguished
The performance should be just slightly better. What's the purpose of your computer? If it is gaming, playing at 1080p you should notice some FPS gain. If you are playing at higher resolutions like 1440p the GPU is probably the bottlenecking component and a better CPU won't help.

You are probably also overclocking your 2600X wrong.

2nd gen 'X' CPU's are capable of boost two cores to 4.3Ghz if you don't put it in an all-core overclock with multiplier. Instead, use PBO to adjust some of the boost parameters along with a lower Vcore (using off-sets) to get the boosting cores to stay boosted longer. For gaming, that's all you need to get best FPS performance out of the CPU.

Some very good advice has been given here. A clean install is paramount. In fact I'll take the clean install process even further, as when updating a CPU I usually do a total clean install of Windows. For some people this is a daunting task, but for me whenever I'm doing a Windows clean install on a computer I've build it is usually no fuss no muss. When I build a rig I have the OS on a 250Gb - 1TB SSD, and then install everything else on 4TB (in some cases 6TB or higher) HDD. That way if you ever have to do a clean install all you have to do is move any personal files (documents, save game files, pictures, ect...) off your SSD to the HDD and you are all set to just wipe the SSD with a clean install of Windows. As long as all your games and programs have been installed to a "D" or "E" drive HDD you won't have to reinstall hardly anything and your losses with a clean install will be minimal. People who have everything installed on their main boot drive with the Windows OS have a bit more work to do to get everything important backed up and restored.

It is also very good advice to let the Ryzen 2600X boost itself as much as is possible. I would assume you are still on either a X350 or B350 motherboard, so some of the XFR and PBO options may not be available to you, however make sure you have flashed the latest bios updates for your motherboard and Instead of an all core multiplier overclock you may want to look into P state overclocking. If your board lacks support for the new Precision Boost 2 and PBO then a P state overclock will be the next best thing as you can set P state to boost to 4.0 - 4.2Ghz (depending on your cooling and luck in the silicon lottery) but with a P state overclock your processor will downscale when at "rest". This is easier on the equipment as its not "balls to the wall" 24/7. There are good tutorials on line how to calculate and configure a P state overclock. I think there is even a Ryzen P state calculator out there that will do all the math for you. When dealing with the older X350 and B350 motherboards P state overclocking is usually how I'll set up a nice stable boosting overclock. It seems to work very well with the Ryzen Plus processors on these older boards.

Forgot to post the link to the Windows 10 clean install tutorial. Usually, especially if you have not already done a clean install or changed platforms and are still using the Windows installation from the previous system you had, this will cure a lot of problems. If you have already done a clean install since building the system, then I'd follow the other steps I indicated in my first post.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

+1 I tend to forget sometimes that some people don't know how to do a clean install of Windows:D