New Ryzen, Old B-350

tjthao16

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018
Hey everyone I have just recently purchased components for my computer, I haven't quite finished setting up them all together, but I've been reading and seeing some reviews since I got the new 2600x CPU from Ryzen but I got a Asus Rog strix b-350. Both new, but I since I haven't turned it on or powered it on yet, I'm just hesitant since I'm worried i'll just get a black screen since the motherboard's bios/uefi may not have been updated before I bought it (from micro center). If that's the case will I just have a black screen? Or can I do something to avoid that.

PC parts:
CPU: 2600x
Mobo: Asus rog strix b350
Ram: G skill trident z ddr4 3000
Memory: 120gb corsair mp500 m.2 , wd blue 1 tb hdd
Psu: EVGA 650watt 80+
Case: Fractal Meshify C
GPU: Evga 1070ti

Thank in advance

Solution

Nope. You need a processor that is natively supported by the board to come any close to extracting anything from a USB. You'll either have to apply for an AM4 upgrade kit provided by AMD, or just take it to the micro...
Only way to find out is to turn it on. If you get a problem, then you'll have to get the BIOS updated. most likely it wouldn't POST if the BIOS isn't updated, so you won't get anything on the display, and the system might not even turn on, at which point you'll have to get the BIOS updated. It is possible that the BIOS is already updated, in which case the system will start up just fine.

tjthao16

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018

If it doesn't post, i'd just get the updated bios on a usb and extract it then update it through using the uefi right?

Nope. You need a processor that is natively supported by the board to come any close to extracting anything from a USB. You'll either have to apply for an AM4 upgrade kit provided by AMD, or just take it to the micro center and ask them to update it for you, nicely. If they don't do it, and for some reason you can't get the AM4 kit, you'll have to go to a local hardware store and ask them to update the BIOS - you cannot do it with a 2nd generation chip.

Solution

tjthao16

Commendable
Mar 21, 2018

Okay, thanks so much for this it helps a lot! I'll see what happens.