Question New Seagate 8TB SLOW

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
I just got an 8TB HDD for storage (cheaper than 4TB internal storage). I started transferring all my photos from the numerous external drives I have to the new one today. I noticed that the speeds are MUCH slower than my SD UHS2 card and usb 3 reader (14-27MB/s vs. 40-60MB/s). I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix this.

I am going from an older 4TB HDD to the new 8TB HDD. Both are connected via USB 3.0 or better (My mobo has a 3.2 port, but I cant see behind if that is what its plugged into. But NEITHER device is 3.2 anyway). I expect the speeds to be slower than optimal because of the age of the read drive, but this seems ridiculous.

Thanks

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017
I am using a brand new PC with asrock x470 master sli/ac, 16gb RAM, Sandisk 240gb ssd, Crucial 240gb ssd, Seagate barracuda 2tb hybrid, and Ryzen 3400g. Not sure if hardware matters but there it is. No graphics card.

The advertised numbers people like to see on CrystalDiskMark leave folks thinking that 180-200 MB/sec transfers are typical with spinning disk drives...

The real world steps in to remind you that spinning drives are pretty slow, and USB to USB transfers are the slowest yet.

(I'd rather have USB 2.0 transfers that complete correctly vice some external USB 3.0 connected drives that overheat/fault out during very large transfers (i.e, 100-200 GB of data)

Large transfers often obviously exhaust the drive's cache capacity quickly, degrading the write speeds to perhaps a sustained 50- 60 MB/sec...; randomly sized/located files might cut that in half again.

USAFRet

Titan
Additionally, performance depends on the slowest device in the chain.
A fast drive reading from a slow drive can only be as fast as the slow drive.

Additionally, composition of the data has a major impact.
50 GB in 6 large files will transfer a lot faster than 50GB in 10,000 small files.

Sanderguy777

Honorable
Apr 1, 2017