Question New Seagate Drive reporting many Power On Hours

Dec 12, 2020
I recently purchased a new, not refurbished, Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0033 4TB drive from Newegg via third party vendor. In CrystalDiskInfo overview, it is reporting 44,143 Power On Hours. In CrystalDiskInfo details, it reports Current - 50, Worst - 50, Raw - AC6F (44143). All CrystalDiskInfo parameters look good - none reporting caution. I have three other Seagate drives of varying ages in this computer, which runs 24/7, and their Power On Hours are consistent with their age. Should I be concerned with this reading? Not sure if relevant, but an identical drive in the same order failed S.M.A.R.T. immediately and has been returned for replacement.

Edit: I confirmed with NewEgg chat support that I did not unknowingly or accidentally order refurbished drives. Newegg offered a 4 year extended warranty on the two drives for $26 and that seemed like a good idea for this purchase.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Yes, you should be concerned. This drive is 5 years old at least.
Run the serial number through Seagate's warranty checker:
https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/warranty-and-replacements/
Good idea. Results don't indicate the age.
"Please contact the place of purchase.
This product was originally sold as a part of a larger system. Please contact the system manufacturer or your place of purchase for warranty support."
Time to contact the seller and/or newegg. Thanks.