Question New SSD - how can i clone my old hard drive?

chris96993

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Hey there, I bought a samsung evo 860 ssd and downloaded the migration program, cloned my hdd onto new ssd and everything worked. I even unplugged my hdd.

I gave that pc to my brother and kept my evo 860. He bought a Sandisk Ultra 3d ssd for himself and i cant figure out how to clone that same old hdd onto his new ssd (the hdd had windows, etc). There doesnt seem to be a free program, but when i downloaded the sandisk dashboard it didnt even detect the new ssd, i made sure it was plugged in correctly.

1. Is there anything you have to do for your pc to recognize a new ssd other than plug it into a sata and psu cable?

2. Once the pc detects the ssd, is there a free way to clone my old hdd?

Thanks guys for reading, im just struggling to get this ssd to work for my brother

Download magic partition
Hey there, I bought a samsung evo 860 ssd and downloaded the migration program, cloned my hdd onto new ssd and everything worked. I even unplugged my hdd.

I gave that pc to my brother and kept my evo 860. He bought a Sandisk Ultra 3d ssd for himself and i cant figure out how to clone that same old hdd onto his new ssd (the hdd had windows, etc). There doesnt seem to be a free program, but when i downloaded the sandisk dashboard it didnt even detect the new ssd, i made sure it was plugged in correctly.

1. Is there anything you have to do for your pc to recognize a new ssd other than plug it into a sata and psu cable?

2. Once the pc detects the ssd, is there a free way to clone my old hdd?

Thanks guys for reading, im just struggling to get this ssd to work for my brother
Sorry my bad i spaced what i read yes normally go to disk manger and format ssd to activate it. It may not have been fully initialized before sale simple fix

Does it recognise it in the BIOS?
If so, as said above, windows 10
Computer Management
Disk Management
Click on the SSD
Format

Not sure if Samsung Magician will work for cloning or not. May do.. if not, use other cloning software, as mentioned above.
Remember the SSD has to be bigger than the HDD or at least the same size
eg, a 2TB HDD will not clone to a 500GB SSD

chris96993

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Hey guys thanks for all the answers, heres my solution:

The ssd was not being recognized no matter what i did, but one weird tool solved that. I ran the memory diagnostic tool, and when the pc reset i was able to see the new ssd in the Disc Management.

After this I initialized and formated the ssd. Since it wasnt Samsung I wasnt able to use samsung migration. I used macrium reflect instead, and im in thr process of cloning.

Big thanks to the community