New SSD install

KR4Q 1

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Just bought a 120 GB ssd I want to put windows 10 on. Currently using a nearly full 1tb 7200 HDD

Everything I've read talks about migrating, can I just put the OS on the ssd? Can I install win10 on the ssd and delete all the windows files from the HDD?

I'm tempted to just do a fresh install but I game and that's a lot of gigs to redownload, at least 650gb of games. But if I do reinstall my os would I be given the option to do so on the ssd?

Solution
Hi

You cant migrate Windows from HDD to SSD unless Windows is on a seperate partition on HDD and is about size of SSD or in your case uses no more than 100GB for files
(after cleaning out restore points, windows.old, old windows updates & emptying recycle bin & temporary files)
[using disk cleanup and ccleaner will help

If you do a fresh install on SSD disconnect power & data cables to HDD otherwise Windows install will re-use boot manager files on HDD instead of putting new ones on SSD

SSD manufacturers often provide a migration tool such as Acronis

regards

Mike Barnes
Hi

You cant migrate Windows from HDD to SSD unless Windows is on a seperate partition on HDD and is about size of SSD or in your case uses no more than 100GB for files
(after cleaning out restore points, windows.old, old windows updates & emptying recycle bin & temporary files)
[using disk cleanup and ccleaner will help

If you do a fresh install on SSD disconnect power & data cables to HDD otherwise Windows install will re-use boot manager files on HDD instead of putting new ones on SSD

SSD manufacturers often provide a migration tool such as Acronis

regards

Mike Barnes

Solution

KR4Q 1

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

thanks for the help
so uninstall my current harddrive, hook up the ssd, then usb boot windows install? does that sound about right?

and if so, can i delete all my windows files from the old hdd to create more space? if so ill have to googl