[SOLVED] New SSD not detected by bootable USB Windows 10 Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2021
Hi,

I'm trying to do a clean install Windows 10 on a new Kingston A2000 NVMe SSD drive in an Asus S533 laptop, after having taken out the SSD that came with the laptop (and had Windows 10 installed on it). The issue is that the installer does not detect the drive, so there are no disk options when the installer asks "Where do you want to install Windows". I can see the new SSD in the BIOS setup under "Storage", so it is properly connected at least, but it does not appear in the Boot Priority list.

I tried to use DiskPart from the bootable USB, but it does not detect the SSD either, only the USB, so I can't use that to somehow prepare the SSD. I also managed to use a Gparted Live bootable USB to partition the SSD as GPT and even format it in NTFS, but it still won't show up as an option in the Windows installer. I also tried setting the "boot" flag for the partition in Gparted, but still nothing.

I have also tried disabling "Secure boot" and "Fast boot" in the BIOS setup.

Any suggestions what I might do next? Very grateful for any help!

Cheers people
The Rasmus

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Considering you can get into BIOS, which BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop? You're advised to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Reactions: therasmus
Mar 6, 2021
Hi all! Thanks for answering so quickly.

• The BIOS version is 208 (GOP Version 17.0.1042 and EC Version F006210A.30B, whatever that means). I can't figure out if this is the latest one, but the laptop is just a couple of months old.
  • And the laptop is an S533EA, so not confusingly not one of the three options listed.
  • As for the CSM option, I can't find it in the BIOS utility. The FAQ at the Asus website says that "Launch CSM" is "no longer in the BIOS Setup menu from Intel CoffeeLake processors".

Thanks for your help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
As for the CSM option, I can't find it in the BIOS utility. The FAQ at the Asus website says that "Launch CSM" is "no longer in the BIOS Setup menu from Intel CoffeeLake processors".
well, that makes it different
i hate laptop manuals, never tell you anything useful. 1 page on the bios....
is the bios a netio bios? just curious what it might look like.

does bios have a date? there is a 301, It is dated January this year

so can the old ssd see the nvme drive at all? just curious. Might want to put it back in so you can at least use laptop while we nut this out.

does nvme show in the bios?

Reactions: therasmus
Mar 6, 2021
The issue is resolved! I browsed the ASUS FAQ a bit more, and found this:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044458

It turns out that drivers for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology need to be installed for the drive to show up! So I put those driver on the bootable installer USB, and I managed to install them at the screen where Windows asks which drive to install on. Windows installation seems to be progressing as it should now.

Thanks for your efforts, everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS