Question New SSD (SAMSUNG EVO 860) keeps crashing

Apr 13, 2020
Okay, let's describe my problem. I recently upgraded my GPU from an GTX960 to a GTX1070 as I wanted to play the new COD MW a bit smoother (higher resolution & better grapichs). Other parts at that time are:

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB (containing OS)

HDD: WD 640GB (containing Games & Media)

MOBO: ASUS p8z68 v pro

PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M620

CPU: Intel i7-2600K

8GB RAM

After a few days of playing, COD seems to crash at serveral points in-game or some music/graphical parts wouldn't load properly. As the HDD is a very old one, I expected this to be the problem (when playing COD on the small SSD, all seems fine). When back-upping the data on the HDD, it seems dead (couldn't transfer data), so that probably confirms my suspicion. I ordered a 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD instead. Installed it (next to the small 840 EVO) and placed the game over there and after a few times of playing it started crashing there as well. I wanted to format the ssd (maybe something went wrong when installing?), but again wasn't able to transfer data. Furthermore, Windows wouldn't boot anymore after this... I then rememberred that the SSD (and so was the former HDD) was labelled as an external drive (instead of an internal drive). So, I opened up the PC and noticed that it was connected to the Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller on the mobo, instead of on the internal Intel Z68 chipset (6GB/s), where the 840 EVO was connected. I switched it (so now both the 840 EVO SSD and the 860 EVO SSD are connected to the Intel chipset). Windows booted again (thank god) and all worked fine. Re-installed the game and soon it crashed again and graphics were messed up. The whole 860 EVO SSD seemed to crash (I couldn't open files on it anymore) and when rebooting it needed a "scan and repair" while windows was loading. Now I can access the files again, but clearly something is still wrong.

As my computer knowledge is limited, I really don't know what causes this.

Is the Samsung 860 EVO broken? it is only a few days old...

Thanks for your replies.

Apr 13, 2020
I ran diagnostics on both drives. The 860 evo is the drive that crashes.

W.r.t. the drivers, I don't know what you mean by DDU. But I had to (manually) uninstall the old GPU drivers before I could install the 1070 drivers.