Question New SSD shows up in disk management but can't format it

Chris Martel

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I just installed a new 500gb ssd and when going to disk management to format it and right-clicking the only option is "help." It seems to be grouped up with my boot disk for some reason and also labeled as "recovery partition."

View: https://imgur.com/a/qKau5zW

I would just like to use this new ssd to store certain games on but for the life of me I can't find an option to format it or change what it's role is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris Martel

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Near as I can tell, it's already formatted to NTFS.

Can you not access it through whatever file browser you use, as the 'E:' drive?
Correct. I can't see it when looking for drives in the normal view. I have c and e (which is a 1tb hdd already installed) and wanted to add this one to have some more storage.

Also, when I use cmd and check for disk partitions it doesn't show up there. Do I have to go into the bios and activate the port I am trying to use manually?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
The partition labelled as Recovery is under 500 MB and is part of your 120 GB drive, not the seemingly missing 500 GB drive if that's what you're thinking.

AllanGH

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Sorry....I read that incorrectly as your 1TB being the new drive.

It's just not showing up at all, as far as I can tell, on second look.

Try switching SATA ports on the MB.

Chris Martel

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Sorry....I read that incorrectly as your 1TB being the new drive.

It's just not showing up at all, as far as I can tell, on second look.

Try switching SATA ports on the MB.
Ah, you're correct that it's 500mb. I guess it's not being detected. I have switched ports and nothing. I have another sata 3 cable I can try, and would I have to manually enable the ports through the bios? I hadn't had to do that yet.

AllanGH

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I should have thought of that....on one of my "shop" computers, I have a SATA switch that switches power on and off to 6 connected devices, and the symptom of an unpowered device is exactly what you encountered.

Glad you found the issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS