new system build/help/advice

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I've had my current system now for 8.5 years (other then the video card which I upgrade more frequently)...I'm finally looking into building a new one...but technology and hardware has changed so much ((NVMe, MLC/TLC, M.2 etc) that I'm slightly overwhelmed...I've been researching online the past week and think I've gotten a better understanding of things but I'm still confused about certain aspects and need advice/help...some of the questions may be very noobish so forgive me ahead of time

here's my current proposed build...I'm mainly using it for gaming and light overclocking...I want my system to last another 6+ years so I'm looking for long term value...I'm going to be re-using certain parts such as my GTX 1070 and Lian Li A70B case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQmddX

1) I'm totally confused about NVMe...there are PCIe, SATA and M.2 versions...using certain ones seem to either disable some pci-e lanes or disable SATA ports or lower performance etc...which is the best way to hook these up?...in the m.2 slot of the mobo or using a pci-e adapter?...or is it better to just use standard SATA 3 SSD's like the Crucial MX500?

2) my case has room for 7 fans (not counting the CPU fan)...my proposed board has 7 fan headers on it:

4-pin CPU_FAN
4-pin CPU_OPT
4-pin AIO_PUMP
4-pin M.2_FAN,
4-pin CHA_FAN1
4-pin CHA_FAN2
5-pin EXT_FAN

I know the CPU cooler goes into the CPU_Fan header but can I place my remaining fans in any of the other headers?...also do all case fans come with Molex plugs, 3 pin and 4 pin plugs?...so every fan (3 pin or 4 pin) I plug directly into the mobo is able to be monitored and controlled through the BIOS?

I also have an NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller...is it better to plug them all into the controller versus the motherboard fan headers?...what is the advantage of one over the other?

3) any recommendations on quality but affordable 1200mm case fans?...I need at least 5

thanks for any help!

M.2 is the interface, it has 2 speeds, NVME(32Gbps) and SATA (6Gbps). For the averagw user, a non NVME drive is sufficient and little to no noticible difference in the premium of a NVME price tag.

Your case shows its age and looks like it has poor intake airflow blocked by hard drive bays. If you are using it as is, I would recommend a newer more efficient setup. Just MHO. It would certainly be quieter as well to get a newer one.

As not all,of those headers are designed for case fans they likely will work. If You want to control individual speeds I would keep the fan,controller. I have all mine plugged into the motherboard at 100%.

I try to clarify some doubts:
TLC / MLC are two SSD disk technologies. You should not worry too much about it. The Samsung 860 EVO is one of the best current SSD drives. The Crucial MX500 SSD also.
The M.2 is a new "disk" format that is much smaller than conventional SSDs. An M.2 can be SATA with what has almost identical properties that a conventional SSD or NvME that can achieve much higher speeds.
A M.2 SATA is only advised when size is important as in laptops. It has no advantage over conventional SSDs and heats up more.
  In a desktop a M.2 only interested if it is NvME. In any case, do not expect the SSD-> NvME change to be comparable to what the HDD-> SSD change meant.
If you have to use M.2 NvME it is always advisable to do it with a mobo that has M.2 connectors natively. Do it through PCIE only if the above is impossible.

Regarding the limitation of PCI-Lanes is more a problem for mobo designers who will not be able to present all the elements they would like. For you, at most, it means that if, for example, you use two M.2 connectors, you must stop using one of the 6 SATA connectors.

AIO_PUMP It is reserved for liquid cooling.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I actually love my Lian Li case...they don't make simplistic cases like this anymore...I'm not into clear side panels or lots of flashing lights...I love the brushed aluminum finish, tons of interior space, tons of cooling options etc

so any fan I plug into the motherboard will always run at 100% speed or does the motherboard control the speed based on temps?...so is 3-pin better then 4-pin?...or PWM?...everything seems overly complicated

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

thanks for the M.2 info...as far as the AIO_PUMP motherboard header, is it OK for me to plug a case fan into that even though it's labeled for water cooling setups...same with the other headers like chassis_1, cpu_opt, M.2_fan etc?

You can use tge AIO header for a regular fan, its for radiator fans but any fan(s) will work. The EXT header is not for fans directly and you can't use it. You can buy splitters and connect up to 4 fans on 1 header.

If you like your case, thats all that matters. There's a reason nobody makes cases that way anymore. Newer components are putting out more heat. Me personally I would get a newer case with better airflow.

The fans will run at what you set in the bios.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
here is a pic of the fan headers from my motherboard manual...maybe this can help make things more clear...based on that which type of 120 mm fans I should be looking to buy (3-pin, 4-pin PWM etc)?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I think the airflow is pretty amazing with this case...I bought the blowhole top panel separately which gives me 2 blowhole vents in the top of the case for exhaust...plus I can have 2 intakes in front, 2 fans over the GPU area and 1 fan in the back as exhaust

$13 isn't bad. This is probably the best deal.

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators $5 on Newegg.

I have seen your case, looked at the setup. It's great for,exhaust but piss poor in cool intake air. I have a much better one, you don't have to sell me on it. Like I said, if you like it, keep it.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

thanks for the info...do you have any opinions on this Arctic case fan?...I think I read some good things about it

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-PWM-PWM-Signal-Configuration/dp/B00H3T1KBE?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAITNV2DFZ5GUWNVXQ&tag=techlounge0f-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00H3T1KBE

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I wonder if that CoolerMaster case fan gets good reviews only because it's cheap or if it's really that high quality in terms of cooling and low noise levels

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

but overall you would recommend the Corsair ML120 even over the Cooler Master SickleFlow right?

as far as the Arctic fans I was just wondering why one of them was specifically labeled PWM and the others weren't...I thought maybe PWM versions were always going to be better then non-PWM

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

thanks for all your help...if I wanted to add a PWM fan splitter, would this be the right one to get?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119893&cm_re=pwm_splitter-_-12-119-893-_-Product

then all I would need to do is connect the single end into the motherboard fan header and connect 2 case fans to the other side?...is there any risk or danger in using 2 fans on 1 header?...what about 2-3 splitters in the same case?...I looked at the specs for the ML120 and it shows a Power Draw of 0.219 A...so 2 fans would draw 0.438...

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

I looked at the manual for the ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming and it states that the max amperage for the CPU fan connector is 1A...but it doesn't specify anything for the other connectors (chassis, opt_cpu, etc)...should I assume they also are 1A connections?...if it is 1 amp that means 4 fans would use 0.876...so looks like 4 is the limit