Question New system configurations benchmark, fan curve, software config

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
So last night I finally got my new system to post. I want to set everything up so my computer is running optimally so I wanted to run this list of things I did and results to confirm that with everyone here. My new system should be in my signature. In the order of which I did things are below:

1. Installed Windows 11
  2. Downloaded all Windows Updates
  3. Download all drivers for motherboard and graphics card
  4. Initialized XMP profile
  5. Ran Cinebench with HWMonitor with the following results:
At idle/running Cinebench:
CPU Core: 26/51
Sys:34/35
MOS:29/36
PCH:47/46
CPU Socket: 30/37
Core (max): 25/51

Fans:
CPU: 315/760
SYS 1: 656/845 (140 mm rated at 42.6 CFM @ 1200 RPM, 3 pin DC) top exhaust,
SYS 2: 1166/1518 (120 mm fan rated at max 65.51 CFM @ 2000 RPM, 4 pin PWM), rear exhaust
Pump: 403 (only recorded during Cinebench test), 2 x 140 mm rated at 41 CFM 1000 RPM, 3 pin DC power, front intakes

6. I ran Heaven for 30 minutes and everything seemed fine. I was expected values like FPS and other measures to be provided but I think this is only with premium edition?

A few questions, I have pictures of my BIOS screen just wanted to make sure everything looks good but specifically some questions about my fans. My front intake fans only have enough reach to plug into the Pump Fan slot which I think is intended for an AIO system so is using that port on the motherboard ok? Selecting whether each fan is DC or PWM seems easy enough but where do I go to adjust the RPM? Do I even need to bother with this since I have selected a "Smart Fan Mode" and it seems the fans are scaling while under load. I'm mainly concerned about this to prevent as much dust from entering the system as I can.

I installed MS Office 365 I get for free but I noticed all the Office apps seem to open a webpage rather than open a separate program and there are no icons, anyone know if there is a way to bring back icons and have MS office not as a web browser?

I have set my monitor and computer to sleep after a certain idle time but I noticed unlike before when I click my keyboard it wakes it back up, on my new system I have to press the power button, is there some way to change this back to wake from keyboard press? I tried looking in the power management settings but all I see is the ability to set sleeping time and nothing else?

Should I run Memtest86 on my new memory (no problems detected) but is this worth doing to rule out any errors? How long could this take on 32 GBs as I've seen ranges from 30 minutes to days..?
CoOuNq.jpg
tOc9JL.jpg
9KvJwh.jpg
jMhEaR.jpg
r6mLP3.jpg
0hUfzL.jpg

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My new system should be in my signature.
Pump: 403 (only recorded during Cinebench test), 2 x 140 mm rated at 41 CFM, 3 pin DC power

Pump? Your specs in your sig show that you have Thermalright Assassin X 120 air cooler. So, where is the AIO, with pump and 280mm rad? :rolleyes:

My front intake fans only have enough reach to plug into the Pump Fan slot which I think is intended for an AIO system so is using that port on the motherboard ok? Selecting whether each fan is DC or PWM seems easy enough but where do I go to adjust the RPM?

PUMP header on MoBo isn't supposed to be controlled RPM wise. Since that header is reserved for dedicated pump, usually found in open loops.

E.g this thing, pump + reso combo:

xres-revo-d5_pwm-140-_incl-pump__tl.v1_2.jpg

And AIO pump should run 100% at all times. Hence no RPM control for that header.

I'm mainly concerned about this to prevent as much dust from entering the system as I can.

If your concern is dust, run positive pressure within your PC. Meaning that you'll put more air in, than you take out. And once you have intake fans filtered, almost no dust enters your system.

Though, compared to the Neutral or Negative pressure, Positive pressure offers the least amount of cooling, while Negative pressure offers the most amount of cooling.

I installed MS Office 365 I get for free but I noticed all the Office apps seem to open a webpage rather than open a separate program and there are no icons, anyone know if there is a way to bring back icons and have MS office not as a web browser?

No clue, since i don't use monetized office software. Instead, i use open-source freeware, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3,
link: https://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

Give it a look, maybe you like it too.

I have set my monitor and computer to sleep after a certain idle time but I noticed unlike before when I click my keyboard it wakes it back up, on my new system I have to press the power button, is there some way to change this back to wake from keyboard press? I tried looking in the power management settings but all I see is the ability to set sleeping time and nothing else?

Look around in the BIOS, since this setting is in there, rather than inside the OS. Might also want to include holy bible of PCs (aka your MoBo manual), to locate exact command/value to change.

Should I run Memtest86 on my new memory (no problems detected) but is this worth doing to rule out any errors? How long could this take on 32 GBs as I've seen ranges from 30 minutes to days..?

Yes.

Duration wise, ~2h per 8GB. But that varies. E.g 16GB stick may take ~4.5h instead, and not ~4h. So, for 32GB, ~10h for one full pass (all 13 tests). 1 full pass is bare minimum, 2 passes are better, while 4 passes is considered acceptable.

4 passes, with your 32GB, may take ~40h or so.

I ran Heaven for 30 minutes and everything seemed fine. I was expected values like FPS and other measures to be provided

Unigine Heaven doesn't give post-run telemetry. But Unigine Superposition (which is successor of Heaven), will,
link: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition