Question New system woes lga 1700

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Im building a new system, details are:
Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White Airflow ATX Mid-Tower with Polygonal Mesh Front Panel
Asus Strix Z690-f wifi 6 MB
Intel i9 12900k processor
4x16gb Corsair dominator ddr5
2x 1tb WD black M.2 drives
Corsair H150i Capellix AIO
Corsair commander xt fan/rgb controller daisy chained onto the provided controller with the Capellix to control the rgb on the water block.
Evga Rtx 3090ti gpu
Corsair 1200w psu

So far Ihave replaced the gpu, the motherboard, the psu, the memory and the cooler and controllers. Ihave disconnected the case leads, the fan controllers+temp sensors, all memory sticks and the water block rgb connectors.

Sorry to be long winded but here is my problem:is this: Icannot seem to be able to get this system to start to video output. If I try to start it with everything connected the power button flashes on for a brief second and then nothing. If zI remove my power lead to the gpu and hook the disply cable directly to the motherboard the system will turn on all fans and seem to start butthere is no output to the monitor.

Asus has told me that since there are no diagnostic lights on the motherboard that the problem is the motherboard. I am skeptical of this because this was the third board with the same issue.

If anyone has any ideas on this I would be eternally grateful.

Before any ask, I did connect 3 seperate leads to the 3090ti power adapter and did not use the 2into1 provided adapter.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Take out the gpu completely just to be sure.
If there's no video from the i9's iGPU, then it may be the motherboard; I've only experienced that symptom once though with an older Z390 board.
The other thing to consider is that you've got the Capellix secured too tight. That is a thing.

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
The other thing to consider is that you've got the Capellix secured too tight. That is a thing.

How tight is "too tight"? The LGA 1700 takes special screws on the AIO water block so im curious how I know how tight to apply the screws.

Also, I bought a second 12900 processor but for the life of me I haven't found how to line it up in the socket. Videos mention something about a "gold triangle" but there isnt one on the motherboard. I've removed this processor 3 times now and a tiny amount of thermal paste got onto the front of it. I cleaned it with alcohol but im not not sure if I have compromised it.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How tight is "too tight"? The LGA 1700 takes special screws on the AIO water block so im curious how I know how tight to apply the screws.
When the screws 'stop', and the user keeps going. Granted, it also depends on how user-friendly the mounting hardware is.
As much as I like the Eisbaer Aurora I'm using, Alphacool's tooling needs an update; I managed to prevent the cpu from POSTing a couple times before I got it right - by having to feel it out :/
I've never used a Corsair AIO/CLC, so I don't know how user-friendly their hardware is.

Also, I bought a second 12900 processor but for the life of me I haven't found how to line it up in the socket. Videos mention something about a "gold triangle" but there isnt one on the motherboard.
There's a gold triangle on the green substrate around the cpu. As for the motherboard socket:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1697...rview-over-50-new-models-with-ddr5-support/13

Click on the motherboard image and zoom in. There's a triangle at the bottom-left edge of the retention frame. The cpu's triangle should point at the frame's triangle.

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Bought https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...RO/E20159_ROG_MAXIMUS_Z690_HERO_UM_V3_WEB.pdf and a new processor, I had the processor lined up properly before so that's not the issue. In the process of the build I noticed that the new motherboard does now have pins for HDD lights, power+/- Led or Power switch but the Corsair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08412JPCH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details plug I dont recognize. Does this take the place of the old style pin connectors to control the using? Could the fact that I had this plug as well as the additional pin connector on/off hdd connectors also connectors been the cause of my issues?

This is slightly rhetorical because I will be trying to start the new comp with just the plug connector attached. The Hero motherboard has no connectors for it so i'm hoping it's the issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In the process of the build I noticed that the Z690 Hero does not have pins for HDD lights, power+/- Led or Power switch...
You sure it doesn't? Page 2-20 shows you how to connect the front I/O + others, and underneath the front I/O pins located at the bottom-right of the board is a little map showing what goes where - but it's so darn tiny...
Did the mobo not include the Q-connector? You can still make the correct connections even without it.

The 2nd link takes me to a Cooler Master TD500 Mesh. I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
I found the pins for the Pled+/-, HDD and power switch. At this point I have replaced every component except the case and I have disconnected the case and used the new Hero MB to start the system. It still will not post regardless of what I do. I'm out of ideas here, the system will power the case fans if the GPU isnt connected but in any scenario it wont output anything to the onboard or gpu graphics

Tomorrow I will be removing all corsair fan controllers and rgb controls plus commander xt modules. not sure how im going to control the capellix water block but i'll figure it out. After that I will be returning everything to RMA and just saying Fk it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How are you connecting your psu cables? One end is fixed and the opposite end is split in some manner.
[With the exception of the motherboard cable and peripheral,] The fixed end plugs into the psu directly, 4+4 goes into cpu power, and the 6+2 goes into the gpu.

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
"
How are you connecting your psu cables? One end is fixed and the opposite end is split in some manner.
[With the exception of the motherboard cable and peripheral,] The fixed end plugs into the psu directly, 4+4 goes into cpu power, and the 6+2 goes into the gpu. " exactly as this, except when I disconnect all 3 cables from the PSU and just try to post from the motherboard graphics I get the exact same symptoms, even with all memory removed.

Even with all memory removed and no GPU installed I should be able to boot to bios from motherboard graphics. Nothing... Not <Mod Edit>. 5k in hardware and it's like a dead stick and im about to chuck it out the window lol. The only thing I can think of is it's a conflict between the corsair case and the commander XT.

Thank you again for your input btw, it's been 10 weeks on this system RMA'ing every part and i'm just frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so the cables are correct.

Earlier, you posted that you bought a 2nd i9... the symptoms were the same with both cpus?

The only thing I can think of is it's a conflict between the corsair case and the commander XT.
Those shouldn't stop the PC from POSTing, unless there's a short...
Making the bare minimum connections without the Commander XT would be worth checking out.

s1lence1

Honorable
Aug 31, 2017
Ok, so the cables are correct.

Earlier, you posted that you bought a 2nd i9... the symptoms were the same with both cpus?

Those shouldn't stop the PC from POSTing, unless there's a short...
Making the bare minimum connections without the Commander XT would be worth checking out.
Okay OK this is in the same stupid but I wanna let let anybody else know who has this problem. I've been building systems for quite a while and and never had any kind of motherboard power supply other than the 24 pin or pin off of PSU . This new motherboard board for the I912 generation Requires 2 additional 8 pin Cables from the PSU to the top of the motherboard in the case of Asus . My whole problem the problem was caused by the fact that I overlooked The additional power needed by the motherboard to power the I 9 processor.