Question New System worked great then found it off

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
It will power up, fans running, but htm1 output is not happening. It won’t talk to the monitor at all. Can’t get bios to display , tried that. This is the processor and motherboard used. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Cezanne 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor.
ASUS X570-Pro TUF Gaming WiFi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard. I did try the monitor on a different computer htm1 and it worked fine. So, I’ve ruled out the monitor and cable. What should my next step be?
It worked every day all day for three weeks prior to this failure.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
It will power up, fans running, but htm1 output is not happening. It won’t talk to the monitor at all. Can’t get bios to display , tried that. This is the processor and motherboard used. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Cezanne 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor.
ASUS X570-Pro TUF Gaming WiFi AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard. I did try the monitor on a different computer htm1 and it worked fine. So, I’ve ruled out the monitor and cable. What should my next step be?
It worked every day all day for three weeks prior to this failure.
Did you make any changes to your system however small before this happened? Did you unplug and then plug back in anything?

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
I apologize for not coming back sooner, but I started working with ASUS, and they wanted to test the motherboard. So when they give me any answers, I will report back here. I checked just about everything, power supply is good, etc.
This is my third build so I know a little, not enough, but a person learns when they do builds. :D
I may need to check out the CPU, but a CPU failure is so rare. I agree it’s not unheard of. I see another user had a problem with his Intel CPU. I don’t know what AMD policies are. One day at a time. Thanks for everyone’s responses.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I apologize for not coming back sooner, but I started working with ASUS, and they wanted to test the motherboard. So when they give me any answers, I will report back here. I checked just about everything, power supply is good, etc.
This is my third build so I know a little, not enough, but a person learns when they do builds. :D
I may need to check out the CPU, but a CPU failure is so rare. I agree it’s not unheard of. I see another user had a problem with his Intel CPU. I don’t know what AMD policies are. One day at a time. Thanks for everyone’s responses.
I agree there's certainly a learning curve involved when you do a new build, even if you've done it before ;) On another note, how is ASUS able to test the motherboard unless you return it to them? Hope you get it all sorted!

Reactions: andrew3d

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Right, so the usual RMA process, at your expense o.c unless asus agreed to pay for the postage?
I sent it back at my expense. I think it is a lost cause. I hope they can accurately tell me what is wrong with mb. Builders like us need a set of parts. With spare good mb or cpu, etc., we could narrow the cause of failures ourselves.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I sent it back at my expense. I think it is a lost cause. I hope they can accurately tell me what is wrong with mb. Builders like us need a set of parts. With spare good mb or cpu, etc., we could narrow the cause of failures ourselves.
Well I hope they can fix it for you, or if not then a replacement or a refund.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Well I hope they can fix it for you, or if not then a replacement or a refund.

This is what I received from them. They are sending it back today, arrival date to be Monday.
  • Thanks for your inquiry! Repair process has completed and your product has been shipped back to you.
Nothing revealed about what they did to fix it.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
This is what I received from them. They are sending it back today, arrival date to be Monday.
  • Thanks for your inquiry! Repair process has completed and your product has been shipped back to you.
Nothing revealed about what they did to fix it.
Well at least they seem to have fixed whatever it was that caused the problem, otherwise they wouldn't be sending it back. Odd though that they don't say what they actually did.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Well at least they seem to have fixed whatever it was that caused the problem, otherwise they wouldn't be sending it back. Odd though that they don't say what they actually did.

It came back by FedEx, and there was a note inside that said they could not duplicate the problem. They said they updated the bios. If they were able to do that, they got further than I did. I wonder if I could get the cpu tested without sending it to AMD?
It’s under warranty as well if I understand their warranty.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Did asus say anything else apart from not being able to duplicate the problem and that they updated the bios? I'm assuming you still can't see anything on the monitor. There's a fairly recent article here that might help.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Did asus say anything else apart from not being able to duplicate the problem and that they updated the bios? I'm assuming you still can't see anything on the monitor. There's a fairly recent article here that might help.
Thanks. I put t all back together, and it is exactly the same. If we assume the motherboard is good, then should I try a second CPU?
If the problem persists when a new CPU is installed, what would be the next logical step?

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Right, they could not find or duplicate the problem. They said they updated the bios to the latest one.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
Right, they could not find or duplicate the problem. They said they updated the bios to the latest one.
I’ve ordered another CPU. We shall see. Eventually, we will get there. The learning I get will be invaluable. I mean, a person cannot help but learn something. Not saying we are like the old television repairmen in the 50s that replaced tubes until it. worked. :LOL: A little more intelligence to our efforts I hope.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
This must be driving you mad, I know it would me. You have to get Asus to tell you what testing they did other than update the bios.
The MB was bad even though they said it was good. No arguing with them, it is not worth the time. What testing did they do? No clue because they never responded to me. A new motherboard, actually same model ASUS motherboard worked fine with the CPU. As I wrote above, I ordered a new CPU, but it did not get here in time. I basically ended up with the same CPU unused. I am thinking of building a mini with it. I posted in system about that. Part of the fun, for me anyway, is the learning. I don’t know what I learned from that build except throwing money at it will eventually fix it. :( Do I sound like the government ? I guess I do. :D

The MB was bad even though they said it was good. No arguing with them, it is not worth the time. What testing did they do? No clue because they never responded to me. A new motherboard, actually same model ASUS motherboard worked fine with the CPU. As I wrote above, I ordered a new CPU, but it did not get here in time. I basically ended up with the same CPU unused. I am thinking of building a mini with it. I posted in system about that. Part of the fun, for me anyway, is the learning. I don’t know what I learned from that build except throwing money at it will eventually fix it. :( Do I sound like the government ? I guess I do. :D
The lesson learned is that ASUS either lied about what they said they did on the note or they cut the tape on the box and then just shipped it back. I like their products but their support has always been awful.

Reactions: andrew3d