New to 3D, Needs Basic Info

G

I am new to gaming and am having trouble with stability (AMD 750, RAM 256, Voodoo5.) I would like to learn more about what is going on in my machine/video card interaction. I do not know the words or concepts beyond "frame rate." I read the overview to frame rate on Tom's Guide but need something explaining many of the concepts he assumed I understood. Can anyone point me to an intelligent/intelligible introduction for the nonprofessional? The problem, I am addicted to EQ, and system crashes regularly to desktop requiring a restart and occasional reboot.

Thank you in advance!

BE

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
as far as you problems post specs. MB brand/chipset
processor slot 1 or socket A
operating system
apps it crashes in
what drivers you loaded for mb
what ver drivers for video card
what video card
you get the idea?

Bored,Certified Tech

email tom maybe he has an article in an archive somewhere
dont know

G

Here is what I am able to determine, hope it is enough:

MB is an MSI with an Athlon 750 processor.

I do not know what the processor slot 1 or Socket A refers too but it says Slot A on the box (past my understanding, :))

Operating system: Win98

Crashes in Everquest--only place where I have noticed the problem

I have not loaded any drivers for mother board, didnt know that one could :) (Would that be DirectX 8? which I have loaded?)

I have Voodoo 5, 5500 as video card and have downloaded the latest drivers as far as I could determine.

Thank you for you reply Bored, hope you are able to help.

Bob

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have upgraded to any of those components since you installed EQ than you might have to reinstall the game. 98 has a bad habit of "forgetting" to to change registry entries sometimes. I would also suggest purchasing Norton system works. This is an excellent program that can often fix a prob before you realize its there. If you want you can email me specific questions from time to time and Ill do my best to further your knowledge of whats goin on inside that little box. I've been a tech for several years and am waiting to start a new job, so Iwant to get that grey matter moving again. Hope Ihelped, goodluck. Diemos

TRENDING THREADS