[SOLVED] New to building and no idea where to start.

Dec 26, 2020
Hello, looking to build app to use for a golf simulator in my garage and possibly also flight simulator. Was thinking of using a Ryzen 5600x processor. Seen people mention paring that with a B550 motherboard. I started to research B550’s and got more confused then when I started. Would like to keep my budget to around 1K. Looking for suggestions and resources to learn what everything is and the differences in what I am looking at. Thank you.

Solution
Thanks. Wasn’t sure about that part. Didn’t is there a certain one I should stay away from? I’ve seen some from $80 to $300.

If you want a B550 where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU installed here is the list.

Here is some of them. They need to have the function called below. Each company has a way of calling this.

ASUS - BIOS Flashback
MSI - M-Flash
Gigabyte / Aorus - Q-Flash Plus

This isn't all of them but you get the picture. Go for a B550 Tomahawk or B550 Strix Gaming or B550-A Pro. Anything but a 80 dollars motherboard. Something in the 130 to 200 dollars is more than enough :)

B550

Asrock B550 Taichi
Asus ROG Strix B550-A
Asus ROG Strix B550-E
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-XE Gaming WiFi
Asus ROG Strix B550-F/ Wifi...

Colif

Win 11 Master
ideal place to look to see what goes with what is a site like https://pcpartpicker.com/ that will show a list of parts that fit in with the CPU you are looking for, and then watch/read reviews of the various suggestions to figure out which are best for you.

I would find a website that offers to let you custom build a PC and then research the parts they suggest and then ask on here what people think about your ideas, people around here likely to offer opinions... hard to stop them.

I am not suggesting getting a custom PC made by them, but their build calculators generally don't include mismatched equipment so its a good place to start.

Was looking on pcpartpicker and all the B550’s said there could be compatibility issues with the 5600, so wasn’t sure.

B550 Motherboard needs a BIOS update to support Ryzen 5000 series.

There are a few ways to update BIOS.
  • If the board has a function that let you update BIOS while no CPU is installed.
  • Bring the system to a local shop so they can update the BIOS for you.
  • You can lend a Zen 2 CPU from AMD so you can put that Zen 2 in the B550 board and flash the BIOS before installing the Zen 3 CPU and you return the lended CPU to AMD.
  • The B550 motherboard could already have the BIOS needed. A sticker "Ryzen 5000 ready" would be on the motherboard box if this was the case.

Thanks. Wasn’t sure about that part. Didn’t is there a certain one I should stay away from? I’ve seen some from $80 to $300.

If you want a B550 where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU installed here is the list.

Here is some of them. They need to have the function called below. Each company has a way of calling this.

ASUS - BIOS Flashback
MSI - M-Flash
Gigabyte / Aorus - Q-Flash Plus

This isn't all of them but you get the picture. Go for a B550 Tomahawk or B550 Strix Gaming or B550-A Pro. Anything but a 80 dollars motherboard. Something in the 130 to 200 dollars is more than enough :)

B550

Asrock B550 Taichi
Asus ROG Strix B550-A
Asus ROG Strix B550-E
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-XE Gaming WiFi
Asus ROG Strix B550-F/ Wifi
Asus TUF B550-Plus / Wifi
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro / AC
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
MSI MEG B550 Unify
MSI MEG B550 Unify X
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
MSI MPG B550 Tomahawk
MSI B550-A Pro
Asus Tuf Gaming B550M-Plus / Wifi
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Gigabyte B550M Gaming
Gigabyte B550M H
Gigabyte B550M S2H
MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
MSI MAG B550M Pro VDH WiFi
MSI MAG B550M Mortar / WiFi
Asus ROG Strix B550-I gaming
Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX
MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi / MAX

Solution

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
Came up with this selection. Does it look good? The only issue seems the motherboard, but talking to you guys, it doesn’t seem like an issue. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdnXMv
That graphics card is weak for the CPU but it depends what you intend to do on it, it will game at 1080p medium to high settings with low shadows, I have a GTX 970 (note im on an i5 4440 atm) and would rate that older gen card over the 1650, a 1650 S would make a little more sense or a 1660 6GB , that will hold up on many more titles if you must go new.

I know you say you wanna golf and flight sim but to what extent do you wanna simulate things, are we talking PGA 2021 or something you hit with an actual club, if you are talking something like
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bphVydLnwMg&feature=emb_logo
i think the novelty will wear off real fast, the club wont feel anything like the real thing so you arent really practicing anything, its not going to feel the same so you arent even getting muscle memory, you might as well get a wii

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020
I will be using E6 which hooks into a launch monitor for tracking actual ball flight. Minimum requirements for a graphics card is a 1070 and an I5 processor.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
I will be using E6 which hooks into a launch monitor for tracking actual ball flight. Minimum requirements for a graphics card is a 1070 and an I5 processor.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/3609vs4039 will give you some idea of a 1070's equivalent, it certainly isnt a 1650, that looks pretty sweet tho, might have to talk the girlfriend into ignoring what goes on in the basement and on the credit card for a few months :D

your best cheapest option is a 3060TI (MSRP $399 ) if and when they come available but a direct comparison, or as close as you can really get, that might find reasonably would be a RTX 2060 ($350-400 new, $300 used, thats crazy) or just find a 1070 ($200 on ebay $450 new), id go a little higher than they recommend personally, the 3060TI is gonna be making that all change tho, the used market is going to have to take a serious side step to stay valid, iv had 2 gtx970s one 4 yrs ago one last yr for the mrs and i paid £100 both times, the used market doesnt fall as fast as it really should be, they keep bringing out masses of newer cards that are worse than alot of the older cards, I mean a 980TI is a damn good card still yet you hear a 1660 is 2 or 3 gens newer and its not even close to the same performance, NVIDIA have flooded the market, the gen that brought us the 1050 is just a literal waste, all those cards existed in the 7 series cards, then they milked it some more, it was just so they could sell some old 760s

Untitlddded-1.jpg

This says alot about NVIDIA over the years, 5 years the difference, low end vs low end and the one from 2014 is a winner, low end never used to mean worthless. Id take a 970 over any of that series card just out of principal lol, they havent been making better cards for years, they have just been making a few cheaper cards to kill the used market for your old unwanted cards.

Last edited:
Came up with this selection. Does it look good? The only issue seems the motherboard, but talking to you guys, it doesn’t seem like an issue. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hdnXMv
Do you already have the PSU? It's really costly and you don't need that when you're looking for performance in $1k

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNYfVc
Here, fixed it

Downgraded to a 3600. It won't affect it much depending on what "i5"
Whatever it shows +$100 for the case,
$270 left for GPU. 1660 Ti is the 1070 equivalent. I'd suggest wait for 3060 and 3050 they'll be more on the 1080+ level

If you can, stretching to $1200 will allow the 5600X (and a better mobo, I slightly downgraded that too, very slightly) and definitely a 3060. The Ti will require a bigger PSU, which means you'll have to stretch even more so never mind that.

You can get RGB RAM or an AIO if you want to show off those pretty fans and lights

Plus we are yet to see the price reveal for the 3060 and 3050. So id suggest wait until at least they release the price tag so you can pick the appropriate cpu, you don't wanna miss out on any performance

Buy all your parts at the same time. The reasons is the cost go down and if a part is DOA you will not be outside of the return windows. If you want to buy your system in 3-4 months then you should comeback in 3-4 months and look at the parts then. The new Intel CPU's will be out. Prices will change.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt