New to computers. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"?

Oct 30, 2018
Firstly, I'm rather new to computer issues like this, so I don't really have an idea on what to do.

I'm getting this error "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I thought this just meant that I had to install Windows on this computer, but when I tried I got this error "Windows can't be installed on this drive".

I keep reading that this could be the hard drives fault, and I thought it was as I couldn't see it in the bios menu. However, after opening my computer up and moving the SATA cable around to a different slot I can now see the Hard Drive in the Bios menu and in Diskpart.

I've been reading a bunch of solutions on these forums, but I wanted to post a question myself in case someone wants to
throw in a new answer or walk me through this.

*EDIT* I should add the fact that DiskPart says my drive is "Healthy", but I don't know if that matters for much.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in the BIOS is the drive set as the first boot device?
how are you loading diskpart?
there are no USB devices connected the system is trying to boot?
could the healthy drive be the drive diskpart is loaded on and not the HDD?

Is this a new computer and you're trying to install OS on it?
Or the pc was working fine and you suddenly got this "Reboot and Select proper boot device" message ?

Can you post screenshot of command output?
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list partition
    list volume

Oct 30, 2018

I'd put in a Windows 10 Installation USB and press "Shift+F10"

Your post is leaving out some info, is this a new setup with a new drive and you are trying to install Windows on it? Was this a running system that got this error all of a sudden? Did you do anything with the system before the issue started if it was running before?

If this is the main boot drive, it's best to have it on the lowest numbered SATA port on the motherboard since you moved the cable around.

During Windows setup, go to advanced disk options, delete any existing partitions on it and then start the setup. Assuming that you don't need to keep any data on it.