New to Overclocking

JBox138

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi all first time here, I'm still waiting for parts to come in to finish my build but new to overclocking period.

Here will be my PC spec. as of Friday.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D
CPU: core i7 4790K
Mobo: Asus Z97-A
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400 2x8gb
GPU:Asus GTX970 Strix OC
PSU: Corsair RM850
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
Mushkin 240GB SSD
Win 7 Pro 64bit soon will upgrade to Win 10

From my research looks like around 4.6 to 4.7 would be a ideal, looking to do a lot of gaming Arma 3, Project Cars etc.

From my understanding so far is newer build no longer need to be overclocked though bios? Will my motherboard come with OC software or where should I grab the best OC tools?

I haven't built a PC since AMD Athlon 64 bit was first released. Sorry for my lack of knowledge these days.

Solution
Hi and Welcome. So when it comes to CPUs you have to overclock in the Bios and if you are going to overclock GPUs you can eather use MSI afterburnere or EVGA precision X that are free.

What you have to be cearfull about when you overclock is the temp, so they dont get to hige. ill recommend that you lay under 80C under stress on your CPU and GPU

when you are going to test you overclock i would recomend that you use anything but Prime95, it is hard on your cpu. Aida64(not free, but 30 days trial) or intel burntest would be fine.

Good luck with the overclocking :D

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014
Hi and Welcome. So when it comes to CPUs you have to overclock in the Bios and if you are going to overclock GPUs you can eather use MSI afterburnere or EVGA precision X that are free.

What you have to be cearfull about when you overclock is the temp, so they dont get to hige. ill recommend that you lay under 80C under stress on your CPU and GPU

when you are going to test you overclock i would recomend that you use anything but Prime95, it is hard on your cpu. Aida64(not free, but 30 days trial) or intel burntest would be fine.

Good luck with the overclocking :D

Solution

JBox138

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Awesome I have used Prime 95 before most to check temps under full load. I already use Afterburner for my video card. And run all kinds of stress tests to assure I won't have a thermal overload during long sessions of gaming. Good to know that I can still do this through the system bios. I could have sworn I read something about with the newer core processors they are done through software not bios. I should be good to them, can't wait most of my components will be here today!