[SOLVED] New to RGB- Where to start...

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Just got a new case for new build and it comes with 2 RGB fans installed.
Tis a cheap case, Fractal Focus, a good sized ATX mid tower with good air flow reviews and a glass side window. The primary use for the new box is Win 11 Dev box too get to a headstart on Win 11 and "The" most current MS Dev versions SqlServer, VsStudio, .Net, Asure and such. Have ordered pretty good componuents for the build and they're just commin this week - Asus H750M-Plus/Csm, Intel I5-11600K, 32G ddr4 3200, WD 1T SSD, 500W +80 bronse PSU & misc goodies - being built to be Strong, Swift & Stable/Reliable ( not a KillerSuperFast, OCer but just a nice Swift software Dev box) - and much like my current/previous boxes with Asus CSM mobos that i've had Very good luck with.
Actually, I find it simpler/more cost effective to just Build a NewBox for each new New Ms OS release (and keep the old box for support/maintenance work) - than to try and update to OLD box & software.

But i'm New to this case lighting & Rgb stuff... and a little tastefullRGB Zing would be Nice! , as I DO spend a WholeLottaTime feedin a Computer
The new Asus mobo does have RgbHeaders onboard, but Good RGB aint all that simple im finding. - Asus AURA looks to be nearly as complicated as installin settin up a Solid OS.!

Anyone wanta point me to a good startup plan for RGB lighting....
Should I just buy a startup lighting lit and controler? or try and Learn Asus Aura...
Asus AURA IS a Bios AddOn - first instinct is Oh NO! - cant be messin with Reliably!!!
Startin with a couple syncd fans and strips, on a budget would be nice.
Can I sync 2-3 fans & a couple strips easily for >$50 bucks?

Oops, EditAdd: Correction, i mean...
Can I sync 2-3 fans & a couple strips easily for (LessThan) <$50 bucks?
What extra parts, Kits, etc do I need for a good budget RGB startup?

Last edited:
Solution
you will want to decide ahead of time if you want to use custom LED patterns synced across all devices or just simple colors that could be matched.

you also want to decide if you want to use 3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB devices.
so what type your motherboard has available can be a big factor.

if your motherboard only offers a limited amount of headers or only certain type you can just get a powered LED hub that will support multiple devices.
this can make syncing device's patterns a bit easier because all of them can be reading from a single motherboard header using motherboard control software
or from a remote or built-in controller.
you will want to decide ahead of time if you want to use custom LED patterns synced across all devices or just simple colors that could be matched.

you also want to decide if you want to use 3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB devices.
so what type your motherboard has available can be a big factor.

if your motherboard only offers a limited amount of headers or only certain type you can just get a powered LED hub that will support multiple devices.
this can make syncing device's patterns a bit easier because all of them can be reading from a single motherboard header using motherboard control software
or from a remote or built-in controller.

Solution

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
I Like that: get a powered LED hub that will support multiple devices. AND all reading from a single motherboard header using motherboard control software !

Currently planned is only 3 fans ( front,In rearOut, CPU Fan), plus 2-3 strips... And mobo has 2 RGB headers, plus 2 AAD_Gen2 headers (AuraAddressableGen2 headers).

Clear as Mud - Have Googled round a bit - havent found a Hub/Controller yet that has both FanRGB & Strip Lights output AND get its input/SyncControl from a Mobo input....
Got a Suggestion for a Good one?

Got work to do, Later, Tomorrow, Tomorrow...

havent found a Hub/Controller yet that has both FanRGB & Strip Lights output AND get its input/SyncControl from a Mobo input
all industry standard LED devices use either aRGB(addressable 3 pin) or RGB(standard 4 pin).
aRGB devices offer much more options with individual LED control across the device.
RGB still offers a lot of options but not as elaborate or customizable as aRGB.

so whichever type of hub you choose would suit all standard devices of that type.
your motherboard appears to offer both types of header.

what make & model of fans did you already select?

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
all industry standard LED devices use either aRGB(addressable 3 pin) or RGB(standard 4 pin).
aRGB devices offer much more options with individual LED control across the device.
RGB still offers a lot of options but not as elaborate or customizable as aRGB.

so whichever type of hub you choose would suit all standard devices of that type.
your motherboard appears to offer both types of header.

what make & model of fans did you already select?
All Industry Std either aRgb or Rgb - Nice starter info - that narrows all down...
Don't know type/model yet - the case was to be delivered yesterday but didn't arrive yet - hopefully today, and 2 of the fans come in the case - will know more bout em when the case arrives.
Most of the other components have allready arived - The boxed i5-11600k didn't come with a thermalSolution((coolerFan) - a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB was delivered - its a RGB(standard 4 pin). Strips have yet to be selected/purchased.

The Lighting isnt the highest priority task - the Case Arival and functional component installation(PSU,mobo, cpu, etc & Win11 Pro Install) is first priority.
Hope the case arrives soon(today) - got the install media, parts & buildbench all ready but sorta AllDressedUp and NoWhereToGO without the Case!
The OS & planned software is THE most important first task.
The planned initial software load and order will be: Win11 Pro, OfficePro+,SqlServer,VStudio - that'll probably take a couple a days(AtLeast)....
And after initial os install/setup, the MOST most important task is to establish and test mission critical Backup & Recovery!!!

I've got a nice Synology NAS on my LAN - and we all know our missioncritical DigitalLives are totally dependent on our MostCurrentRecoveryPoint!
After initial software load, the first thing to be established, and tested will be a simple and swift SysImageRecovery from a Bootable USB stick.
I just CAN"T be DigititallyDead! Establishing that on a Newbox with NewOS can be a timeconsuming task.
Lotsa work to do, Later...

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB was delivered
you may want to consider returning this and getting something much better.
while the CM 212 EVO was a great air option many years ago, it and their newer iterations really don't hold up with today's processors & temperatures.

i would recommend either the be quiet! Dark Rock series or the Noctua NH-D15 series of coolers.
After initial software load, the first thing to be established, and tested will be a simple and swift SysImageRecovery from a Bootable USB stick...
Establishing that on a Newbox with NewOS can be a timeconsuming task.
i don't get exactly what you're inferring but,
if your plan is to just load your previous OS backup onto the new system this will not work.
when using a new motherboard you will have to do a fresh OS, drivers, & applications install.
especially when moving up to a new chipset.

it would be much more hassle dealing with the endless process of software & driver conflicts that may not even allow your OS to boot properly, if at all.
performance and stability will be seriously compromised even if you can successfully get into the OS.

if you just mean you will making a system image of your fresh install, ignore the rest.

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Per: That case comes with 2 white LED fans not RGB. - Oops, Yep - Thats right! Oh well...
Per: Backup/Recovery - Will be for the New Win11 box & Win11 Only - New Hardware, OS/Software and New Backup/Restore Win11 only.
Yep Coolin may be a MyBad on my part... Jumped on a DaySale of the I5-11600K without realizing it was Without ThermalSolution...
My last 2 builds were both with boxed Intel I5's and came with stock OEM cooling - and still work just fine for my usage.
My usage & development is primarily largescale SqlServer Database design/development/implementation (DBA work) - am Ms Sql & SolutionDeveloper Certified - need a Swift/Stable & MostCurrentBox to keep skills current & sharp. (Not a SuperHotOCed/Gamer box) For the most part my stuff MUST be PureVanalla OutaTheBox MissionCritical CorpStd load/install/ready Stuff.
And HeavenForbid, on a Hardware site, I don't need any thing more than Intel integrated HD/UHD graphics (they really are quite robust for CorpWorkStations) - I, personally, just like a bit More ZIP than the Std workstation. When I bench builds they usually rate well above average per cpu,memory bandwidth, general computing - but TreeTruncks for Graphics, am used to it.
Now per spec, the i5-11600k has 125W TDP, the CM 212 is 250W++ - and should do just fine being 2xTimes+ more capable than Intel recommends(maybe, I Hope...)
Yea, may have goofed, perhaps shoulda gone with just a I5-11600 , but the extra Zip in the 600K & saleprice got me. May have to adjust.
Plus, I dont OC anymore, infact I dont think the Intel H750 chipset/bios even has the option to OC - I'll alway run at OEM clockings, and should still be Quite Zippy
We'll see...

It;s after 1:30pm - Where's My New Case....

Last edited:

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Asus Ai testing temps...
ThAsusAiInactive.jpg

Mention of my the cpu cooling solution fo the new build , the CM 212 BE cooler, deserves some prep and monitoring.
Havent installed any hardware monitoring lately, so I fired up Asus AI Suite on my current box,to get current - Yea it Works!
This box, an i5-6600/stockcooler on a Asus H170m-plus/csm runs nice and cool, quite acceptable.
Idle 26C, inactive ~30c, and pegged out max turbo 3971mhz 64c - quite acceptable.
The screen snip shows the essentially inactive state and running TV on the second monitor - only 30c.
Its a big dualmonitor snip, mouseover & click for fullscreen view and the detail can actually be seem.
I use dual 32"flatscreen tv,'s for moniters and find em quite acceptable and costeffective, especially when ya catch 32inchers on sale. Plus space effective as no need for a standalone tv - and no RatsNest wiring
I'm ready, and current for temp monitoring - WHEN that Case Arrives...

As this is a Hardware site - Are there there any Computer/TV/DVR integration Forums/threads around?
Ever since Win 7/Media center (now gone sadly) Computer/TV/DVR Integration has been a Must for me - It's Really Nice!
Current solution is a SiliconDust Prime CableCard/Ota Network 3 tuner receiver (on the network ofcourse - its EveryWhere, Really EveryWhere + WireLeesOnTheWholeProperty - and LiterallyAnyWhereInTheWorld where there's unrestricted InternetAccess...
HDHomeRun is the software that comes with the SiliconDust recievers, its multiPlaftorm,Win,Apple,Droid,SmartPhone,ARM(FireSticl,Ruko,etc), the DVR AddOn $35/yr subscription, it's the only/Best ReadyForPrime Computer/TV integration i'v found yet...
And even better yet - its a real RatsNest wiring remover - just plug it into the router/Lan (and antenna/signalsource) and yourgoodtogo...

Well enough, 11:48am - Where MY CASE, Tommorow's turnin into NextWeek...

Last edited:

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Bad News!Just Got this email, over 7 Days after order & some partial deliverys....
Customer ID: xxxxx
Account Number: xxxxx

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for shopping at Newegg Marketplace.

We regret to inform you that your Marketplace order was cancelled by seller Seller Name: Action Air US.

Order Information:

Sales Order Number:
xxxxx
Sales Order Date:

12/31/2021 6:11:31 PM

While our website may have indicated an in-stock status at the time your order was placed, the item(s) from your order were not available at the time your order was to be fulfilled. Any charges to the payment method used will be refunded in 3-5 business days.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience and understanding in the matter.

Order Content:
xxxxx

If you wish to contact the marketplace seller for inquiries, you may find the seller's contact information here: Seller Info Page

Sincerely,

Newegg Marketplace Customer Support Team

Nothin Ever goes as Planned...(lately)
Crappo - Crucial memory's definitely Out, Case is in total limbo actually has delivered status - What a mess!
If one has nothin god to say, i'll just say Big ElCrappo...
Later.

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Well, got the new Fractal Focus cast & Win111Pro up and Runnin ( with some old spar parts the Order never fulfilled), It's a cheap can but Not bad at all, It Work...
The previous post on coolin in this thread was incorrect, that was my test on current W10Box just to test the AsusAi coolin monitor software and i mistakinly posted it's results...
So here the Real results from the New case and Processor... Yea the coolings OK...
ThWin11CoolingOk.jpg

I sniped this while runnin VS install, not a bad File system workout:
Cpu runnin 4.5G, mem 3192, temp 42C, Case AirFlowGood!
All in Spec - Great...
I cant get the temp much over50C even runnin Bench tests
Most a the Basics Check out OK.
More than GoodNuff for Govt work!

Hooked up the RGB cpu coolerto the Mobo - It osculates colors sorta nicely(steadily), don't think changing colors really hooked to Mobo, but GoodNuff for now.
Case fans are white(both)..
Not a Bad look. Will need some LED strips & some RGB wire extensions/connectors,Later, when Time allows...

May post a pic of later(much later), but for now, Build is up and runnin for now.
Fractal Focus case
Asus N570M-Plus/Csm
Intel i5-11600K/ integrated UDH Graphics
16G DDR4-3200 CorsairVengeance (16G more on order)
WD Blue SSD
CM 212 RGB , 2 White front fans + STD rear fans

Runs Swift & Cool - Surprisingly Swift! & All planned software installed and Tested.
UserBenchsays: Nuc Sub! 93% of reported similar builds...
Win11UserBench.jpg

ThatsOutaTheBox - havent touched any overclockin in the uEFI bios..
I'm Puttin This Box to RealWork!

EditAdd:
One thing needed per case - the little button Bios Beeper that's usually included in the hardware pack of new cases. Didn't come with one, I like em...
Have one on order... Beep,Beep...

Last edited: