Question New to ultrawide monitors - some noob questions

Nov 1, 2022
The last PC I built is pretty old and it employs a 26" Asus 1920 x 1080 monitor. Fast forward to today, I just finished building a large 2 station desk for my wife and I for our home office. She works from home and uses a supplied laptop from her work. I will eventually build myself a new PC, but for now I'd like to pick up a couple ultrawide monitors for us to use. This use will not involve gaming of any nature.

My question is not pertaining to a brand or specific monitor recommendation, what I am wondering is, will slapping a new high tech ultrawide monitor onto her crappy laptop and my old PC even work? Would I need to upgrade my graphics card for it to even run the monitor?

I am hoping to step up to the ultrawide format for enhanced productivity, ability to open multiple windows, etc... but not sure that we will be able to drive such a large resolution using her extremely limited laptop and my dinosaur PC until I build a new one.

Thank you for any insight you have to offer, I am extremely out of the loop these days.

Nov 1, 2022
Generally yes, how are we defining 'crappy and old'? Do you know the model and spec? Also what sort of budget do you have for this ultrawide?

If I recall correctly, the PC was built in 2011 - so very, very old. It's an intel i7 950 overclocked to 4.2 gHz with 12 gb of corsair ram. The video card was nothing special, I don't even remember what brand it is. I never game on my PC so I wouldn't expect much out of the video card.

Generally speaking , I am mostly considering this PC irrelevant to the topic at hand as it won't be long until I build another... I just need it to get me by until next year perhaps, which shouldn't be hard as I only use it for web surfing, flac / mp3 work, file creation, etc.

My wife's work laptop is brand new, however of the usual low budget, low spec "just enough to get you by" typical work offering. The thing is with this is that she is stuck with it, can't change anything on it or related to it.

How would these two machines adapt to stepping up to a gargantuan resolution, something like 2560 x 1440 or 3840 x 1600?

As for budget, while I don't particularly want to spend multiple thousands of dollars on the two monitors, I am not opposed to spending up to $1K per.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
My wife's work laptop is brand new, however of the usual low budget, low spec "just enough to get you by" typical work offering. The thing is with this is that she is stuck with it, can't change anything on it or related to it.
If it's a modern Core or Ryzen CPU with an HDMI 2.0 port then it should support an Ultrawide resolution at 60hz just fine. You shouldn't have an issue with either of those resolutions.

How would these two machines adapt to stepping up to a gargantuan resolution, something like 2560 x 1440 or 3840 x 1600?
Wouldn't be surprised if the GPU in your 2011 desktop can't run it but can't say for certain without knowing the model. Your wife's employer would have to be deeply uncharitable to have supplied her with a modern laptop that can't run it.

As for budget, while I don't particularly want to spend multiple thousands of dollars on the two monitors, I am not opposed to spending up to $1K per.
I understand, that sort of budget would easily get you a decent monitor. My first port of call would be monitors from LG and Dell's Ultrasharp range. I would go with an IPS display personally, you'd ideally want a monitor with full coverage of the sRGB colour space.

Some examples would be:
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...1we/apd/210-axql/monitors-monitor-accessories

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
I just saw a deal for a 39" UW LG model similar to the one linked to above for $569... however there was also a deal on some Sammy's for about the same price too :) 34" would each be about $150 less

2x of either of those would make for a really nice productivity set-up IMHO.... and since your wife's lappy is new, it should have USB-C port(s) that supports the DP 1.4 spec and should run them nottaproblemo, although she may need to ask her employer for a docking station, or just buy an adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MG464G6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using that one right now for my work lappy (2022 model HP) with 2x 39" Sammy's + 1x 48" Sammy nottaproblemo :)

Your 11 yo rig OTOH, well that's probably wishful thinking, at it's best it may be able to run 1 of the new monitors at a lowered resolution until you build your new machine :)

Nov 1, 2022
If it's a modern Core or Ryzen CPU with an HDMI 2.0 port then it should support an Ultrawide resolution at 60hz just fine. You shouldn't have an issue with either of those resolutions.

Wouldn't be surprised if the GPU in your 2011 desktop can't run it but can't say for certain without knowing the model. Your wife's employer would have to be deeply uncharitable to have supplied her with a modern laptop that can't run it.

I understand, that sort of budget would easily get you a decent monitor. My first port of call would be monitors from LG and Dell's Ultrasharp range. I would go with an IPS display personally, you'd ideally want a monitor with full coverage of the sRGB colour space.

Some examples would be:
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...1we/apd/210-axql/monitors-monitor-accessories

I got her to send me the name of the laptop, it's a Dynabook Portégé X30. I initially thought it was kind of cheap as it literally only has one usb port on the whole thing, but the specs on it don't look that bad. Her employer is the Government of Canada, so you might be surprised on their technology standard...

If worse comes to worse and my old PC doesn't run it, I'll buy myself an ancient GPU on ebay or something to upgrade / tide me over until I get my new PC built.

Thank you for the monitor recommendations, I will check all of those out.

I recently acquired a gopro and have been capturing some footage, would there be any must have monitor features I would require to do some basic video editing?

I have never owned a curved panel before - would that be desirable even if you're not gaming on it?

Thank you Nighthawk

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
I just saw a deal for a 39" UW LG model similar to the one linked to above for $569... however there was also a deal on some Sammy's for about the same price too :) 34" would each be about $150 less

2x of either of those would make for a really nice productivity set-up IMHO.... and since your wife's lappy is new, it should have USB-C port(s) that supports the DP 1.4 spec and should run them nottaproblemo, although she may need to ask her employer for a docking station, or just buy an adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MG464G6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using that one right now for my work lappy (2022 model HP) with 2x 39" Sammy's + 1x 48" Sammy nottaproblemo :)

Your 11 yo rig OTOH, well that's probably wishful thinking, at it's best it may be able to run 1 of the new monitors at a lowered resolution until you build your new machine :)

This is likely a dumb question, but I am well out of touch with current tech so I am going to ask it. Are you saying that monitors now receive video signal from USB? Please see the above post where I identified her specific laptop. Currently right now I have it hooked up with a HDMI cable, but the picture looks a little funny on the monitor.

As mentioned above, if worse comes to worse I'll just ebay an ancient "upgrade" to my GPU to get me by until next year when I build a new tower.

In regards to the resolution, would her laptop or my gpu even offer a resolution to sync up with a new monitor of that nature? I currently think the highest I can select would be 1920 x 1080 on my PC... If it doesn't even offer the choice then it really doesn't matter I guess?

Thanks for stopping by.

I got her to send me the name of the laptop, it's a Dynabook Portégé X30. I initially thought it was kind of cheap as it literally only has one usb port on the whole thing, but the specs on it don't look that bad. Her employer is the Government of Canada, so you might be surprised on their technology standard...
That's not what I was expecting, when you said cheap I thought you meant ultra budget low quality stuff. This is actually an updated Toshiba Portege X30 with a different logo on it, it's actually pretty expensive. If it's a 12th gen Intel chip with an Iris Xe GPU then you shouldn't have any issues.

I recently acquired a gopro and have been capturing some footage, would there be any must have monitor features I would require to do some basic video editing?
Good colour accuracy and contrast. Properly calibrated with full coverage of the sRGB colour space. Things you'd want from a monitor anyway because then it's nice to look at.

I have never owned a curved panel before - would that be desirable even if you're not gaming on it?
There are really two reasons for a curved display, one is to bring the edges closer to you on a wide display so each part of the panel is a similar distance from your eyes. The other is to stop the colour shifting that occurs on some display technologies when looking at the screen from a sharp angle. The latter isn't required for IPS which have excellent viewing angles.

I think that's accurately a mistake on the LG, I think it's a flat screen not curved. Full disclosure, I've never actually used a curved display personally. I tend to prefer a flat screen, however on a wide display you may find it more comfortable, but I can't comment from experience. If you have a local computer store that sells them you might want to check them out and see what you think.

Nov 1, 2022
That's not what I was expecting, when you said cheap I thought you meant ultra budget low quality stuff. This is actually an updated Toshiba Portege X30 with a different logo on it, it's actually pretty expensive. If it's a 12th gen Intel chip with an Iris Xe GPU then you shouldn't have any issues.

Fair enough. I made an be assumption and it turns out I judged it too harshly. I haven't sat down and taken a real look at the laptop, I just saw that it had one usb port for the entire system when I hooked it up on the new desk, and that reminded me of a bare bones budget laptop that an employer would give. My mistake 😅

colour accuracy and contrast. Properly calibrated with full coverage of the sRGB colour space. Things you'd want from a monitor anyway because then it's nice to look at.

There are really two reasons for a curved display, one is to bring the edges closer to you on a wide display so each part of the panel is a similar distance from your eyes. The other is to stop the colour shifting that occurs on some display technologies when looking at the screen from a sharp angle. The latter isn't required for IPS which have excellent viewing angles.

I think that's accurately a mistake on the LG, I think it's a flat screen not curved. Full disclosure, I've never actually used a curved display personally. I tend to prefer a flat screen, however on a wide display you may find it more comfortable, but I can't comment from experience. If you have a local computer store that sells them you might want to check them out and see what you think.

Thanks for the knowledge, much appreciated. I really have no idea about new monitor technology, so my head is spinning.

Maybe I'm biased towards flat panels, I can't imagine myself not having a completely flat screen. Curved just seems so foreign to me, but I'll take your recommendation and go see some at a local shop. I've never actually laid eyes on one in person.

Thanks Nighthawk, I appreciate your time and help.

Maybe I'm biased towards flat panels, I can't imagine myself not having a completely flat screen.
I'm the same I'm biased towards flat monitors. I'm not actively recommending a curve, but the Dell Ultrasharp's are quite popular as professional monitors. LG however do a number of flat ones though. I'd recommend www.rtings.com for monitor reviews.

Reactions: Sir-Psycho_Sexy

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
This is likely a dumb question, but I am well out of touch with current tech so I am going to ask it. Are you saying that monitors now receive video signal from USB? Please see the above post where I identified her specific laptop. Currently right now I have it hooked up with a HDMI cable, but the picture looks a little funny on the monitor.

As mentioned above, if worse comes to worse I'll just ebay an ancient "upgrade" to my GPU to get me by until next year when I build a new tower.

In regards to the resolution, would her laptop or my gpu even offer a resolution to sync up with a new monitor of that nature? I currently think the highest I can select would be 1920 x 1080 on my PC... If it doesn't even offer the choice then it really doesn't matter I guess?

Thanks for stopping by.

That is correct, many recent laptops with USB-C running through a Thunderbolt 4 controller and with support for the Display port 1.4 spec will easily drive higher resolution monitors by using either a docking station, or the appropriate cables/adapters, which as I said earlier, is exactly what I use for my work set-up...

If her lappy has a 10, 11 or 12th gen CPU AND an Intel Iris Xe gpu like mine does, it should have zero problems driving 2 displays at higher resolutions needed for those better monitors that have been mentioned already.

The reason your pc does not show the options for anything beyond 1920 x 1080 is due to the weak GPU and CPU, they just don't have the horsepower to push anything higher than that...

You could try to get something like a GTX 1660 or 2050, which may or may not help some...

As for flat vs. curved, since you appear to have a set-up that is favorable to turning your monitors at an angle to form a big, non-stop viewing area, then it makes sense....

I never really thought much about it until:

A) I found a really, really great deal on my Sammy's in 2020, and decided to try them out, and now would be hard pressed to do without them, AND....

B) I started working from home, which was made sooooo much more productive by not having to constantly move my head from 1 side to the other, due to needing to have 8-12 apps open at the same time & moving/copying/pasting data between them...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022
That is correct, many recent laptops with USB-C running through a Thunderbolt 4 controller and with support for the Display port 1.4 spec will easily drive higher resolution monitors by using either a docking station, or the appropriate cables/adapters, which as I said earlier, is exactly what I use for my work set-up...

If her lappy has a 10, 11 or 12th gen CPU AND an Intel Iris Xe gpu like mine does, it should have zero problems driving 2 displays at higher resolutions needed for those better monitors that have been mentioned already.

The reason your pc does not show the options for anything beyond 1920 x 1080 is due to the weak GPU and CPU, they just don't have the horsepower to push anything higher than that...

You could try to get something like a GTX 1660 or 2050, which may or may not help some...

As for flat vs. curved, since you appear to have a set-up that is favorable to turning your monitors at an angle to form a big, non-stop viewing area, then it makes sense....

I never really thought much about it until:

A) I found a really, really great deal on my Sammy's in 2020, and decided to try them out, and now would be hard pressed to do without them, AND....

B) I started working from home, which was made sooooo much more productive by not having to constantly move my head from 1 side to the other, due to needing to have 8-12 apps open at the same time & moving/copying/pasting data between them...

I think her machine has that port you are referring to, I snagged a picture of what it looks like :

That being said, is there a reason to not just use the HDMI port that I am already using? is it better to use the USB port instead?

Thanks for the recommendation on a bandaid GPU to get me by, I'll look into those models.

One of the things that is holding me back regarding the curved panel monitors is that through some initial research, I read that they are a challenge to wall mount, which I was really hoping to do.

Is that true?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
I think her machine has that port you are referring to, I snagged a picture of what it looks like :

That being said, is there a reason to not just use the HDMI port that I am already using? is it better to use the USB port instead?

Thanks for the recommendation on a bandaid GPU to get me by, I'll look into those models.

One of the things that is holding me back regarding the curved panel monitors is that through some initial research, I read that they are a challenge to wall mount, which I was really hoping to do.

Is that true?

The main difference is that the HDMI port will only support 1 monitor. If you were to use an HDMI splitter, it will still work but only in mirrored mode. You won't be able to extend the desktop , which means that you can have an apps, taskbars, and file explorer windows open on 1 monitor and other ones open on the 2nd monitor, and cut/copy/paste/drag data/text/images between them, which to me is one of the major benefits of having more than 1 monitor anyways...

But using the USB-C port solves that issue, and will give you both options, as well as the higher-res choices too.

As for the wall mounting, this will depend on the amount of curvature of said monitors.... the less curved ones will be more likely to be wall mountable than ones that are more curved.... UNLESS of course you can find a wall mount that has a curved mounting plate to match your monitor, but I have only seen a few of these here & there, and they were mucho $$....

Reactions: Sir-Psycho_Sexy