New to Windows 8.1

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello, just got finished upgrading from 7 to 8.1. I have a question, when I opened Chrome to install Skype, it said I already had it installed and it took me to the Start menu. From now and on, Skype won't show as a window like in windows 7? It'll always be in the start menu?

How can I get an app such as wordpad and create an icon for it on the desktop?

Also, does 8.1 have an integrated feature for different wallpapers on each screen?

Solution

Its taking you to Skype for windows 8. When your downloading Skype, scroll down and hit learn about Skype for windows desktop then hit get Skype for windows desktop.

For wordpad, go to the start menu, search for wordpad then right click and open file location, from there copy the wordpad...

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Its taking you to Skype for windows 8. When your downloading Skype, scroll down and hit learn about Skype for windows desktop then hit get Skype for windows desktop.

For wordpad, go to the start menu, search for wordpad then right click and open file location, from there copy the wordpad shortcut to your desktop

this question i don't have the answer to

Solution

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Alright, got that stuff cleared.

Now, the way I installed this was straight from the Windows website. I hit the option to keep personal files but not personal settings. On my F drive, which is the secondary drive I use for all my other programs (OS is on the C: SSD drive) there's a bunch of things installed on there that when I try to open it says I'm missing various kinds of .dll's. How did upgrading the OS on my C drive mess up the programs on my F drive?

My C drive has a Windows.old folder in there that was created if you need to know that.

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

If am correct, sometimes .dll's goes into the system32 folder under C drive. to delete that windows old folder, you need to do an disk cleanup

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hmm I tried looking in both Windows/System32 folders (new and .old) and the .dll's are missing which is strange. There are some there but the ones that they say I'm missing really aren't there.

Will a disk cleanup really fix anything? I don't mind the Windows.old folder there as long as it doesn't occupy too much space.

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Disk clean up will delete the windows old folder if you don't want it. As for the .dll's your gonna have to download them or re install your application

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

If you go to the top left on your screen, you should see your resent apps and you can right click to close it