New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Gotcha. Well this little necro learned his lesson (until I dense out one day lol)...but it is what it is. Thanks for the heads up and the polite responses.

My cell phone keeps getting full screen ads and I need to rotate it every time I load a page, which is extremely annoying ATM...so I need to figure out this new layout on my new-ish KeyOne (figure most ppl ain't using a qwerty keyboard anymore) or switch to PC before I keep at this...but I shall return.

D

Deleted member 14196

On a last note (sorry), since I know one of the moderators actually went and read the deleted post.

I just went through all the possible trouble shooting I could find or think of...and honestly I wish that post had ended in my statement (four?) years ago, because it's still the answer. My Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 replacing my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 in the same slots, do not hum. Even with iCUE still installed and nothing to do lol.

I get why it was deleted...but if that answer had been there for me, it would have made my life easier...maybe you should prevent them from being bumped after so long rather than locking them?

Just a thought. I'm not gonna run this topic ragged after the last situation heh. See ya.
You can always link the old thread in your new thread and repost the question

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Gotcha. Well this little necro learned his lesson (until I dense out one day lol)...but it is what it is. Thanks for the heads up and the polite responses.

My cell phone keeps getting full screen ads and I need to rotate it every time I load a page, which is extremely annoying ATM...so I need to figure out this new layout on my new-ish KeyOne (figure most ppl ain't using a qwerty keyboard anymore) or switch to PC before I keep at this...but I shall return.
You shouldn't be getting any ads on this website like that.

I use chrome on android and I don't have ad blocker and I don't get any ads.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Incorrect actually, he only has 8 posts and no best answers, needs more experience in the forum and then, as a reward for your activity and participation, the ads are minimized.
Oh wow, guess I never noticed.
Probably because for the longest time I used Firefox on mobile and pc because of dark reader addon, and I happened to have an ad blocker installed on both.

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
You can always link the old thread in your new thread and repost the question

And I think that was exactly their issue, I wasn't asking a question...I was confirming a long dead question that was simply left unanswered at the end. No big deal now, I've been informed of where I made my mistake, memories in RMA.

Do appreciate the suggestion, if that were the situation I would have done that.

The AD catch thing kinda stinks, wish I had kept my old username now...flipping my device is a pain lol.
Oh well, is what it is.

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I hate leaving things unfinished, so just for the record for anyone I was talking with before about the memory sticks, turns out it was my processor making the noise because some stupid software or another was setting my voltage into the warning zone (as far as I can tell right now).

I'm about to open a question to make sure it's safe to lower my CPU SA voltage and PLL OC voltage in my BIOS without touching anything else since that's what is out of range (so says MSI, yet let it happen lol)

My first attempt at touching the voltage...I wanted to have the options (to avoid this heh), I never thought they could flat out put my PC in a danger zone by itself.

Anyways, just an update in case anyone cared...unless by chance what i'm asking is simple enough for anyone to throw me an answer and save me the time (I don't know if it is hardware dependant)...heck i'm still not sure its the issue, but it seemed to fix it.

Maybe I need a thread for this one regardless lol.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I hate leaving things unfinished, so just for the record for anyone I was talking with before about the memory sticks, turns out it was my processor making the noise because some stupid software or another was setting my voltage into the warning zone (as far as I can tell right now).

I'm about to open a question to make sure it's safe to lower my CPU SA voltage and PLL OC voltage in my BIOS without touching anything else since that's what is out of range (so says MSI, yet let it happen lol)

My first attempt at touching the voltage...I wanted to have the options (to avoid this heh), I never thought they could flat out put my PC in a danger zone by itself.

Anyways, just an update in case anyone cared...unless by chance what i'm asking is simple enough for anyone to throw me an answer and save me the time (I don't know if it is hardware dependant)...heck i'm still not sure its the issue, but it seemed to fix it.

Maybe I need a thread for this one regardless lol.
Yes, start a thread. Thank you.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Starting from yesterday, all pages of the forum are cropped into much narrower format.
I'd like to know why and if there is any way to revert back to the way it was.

Proof too;

Before the forum crop:
Entire forum fits nicely into 1920p (full width).

2U8cOmT.png

After crop:
Entire forum is squeezed into 1560p with lots of dead space at the right of the screen. Also, the middle part (business part) is about half the width it was before since the left side menu width got bigger as well.

Gzl3UQW.png

So, who screwed up? :??:

randomizer

Champion
I'm ok with limiting the maximum width of the main page section as a full width forum is bad for readability (I keep the sidebars open for that very reason), but it's got to be a reasonable width. There is a button in the bottom right of the page which toggles between a fixed and fluid layout. Perhaps the default was switched (temporarily it would seem, as I'm not seeing the narrow layout today).

Reactions: Aeacus

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Based on Colif's suggestion, I'm adding to this thread:

There needs to be a way to determine if a PM/Conversation has been read, and currently this is not shown (I can't say it's not supported, as it may be configurable but hasn't been yet).

Being a moderator elsewhere, I can definitely say that this feature is as important, if not more important, for moderators than it is for regular members. Being able to tell whether a member who's been sent a PM/Conversation has actually laid eyes on it when it's a warning or request for response/action is critical.

I guess, technically, this isn't any proof that the actual content has been read, but it is proof that it has been accessed by the recipient.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Another feature I'd like to request, or have turned on, is that links inserted into messages have as their default behavior opening in a new window, not replacing the one you're currently viewing in. This has become the default behavior of the HTML generated on most other sites I use where no choice is involved and the URL dialogs are much like the one presented by TH or this one:

LinkInsert02.jpg

Others give me explicit ability to control this (but default to "New Window" as their initial state) like this one:

LinkInsert01.jpg

I try to make it as painless as possible for those using embedded links to have those open in a new window without their having to think about always using CTRL+Click to get there. Also, if you work with blind individuals who use screen readers, as I do, that additional key combination is messier when everything is being controlled by the keyboard. Having things automatically open in their own window (or tab if the user has their browser configured to open what would normally be new windows as new tabs) is far more convenient and user friendly.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Another feature I'd like to request, or have turned on, is that links inserted into messages have as their default behavior opening in a new window, not replacing the one you're currently viewing in. This has become the default behavior of the HTML generated on most other sites I use where no choice is involved and the URL dialogs are much like the one presented by TH or this one:

LinkInsert02.jpg

Others give me explicit ability to control this (but default to "New Window" as their initial state) like this one:

LinkInsert01.jpg

I try to make it as painless as possible for those using embedded links to have those open in a new window without their having to think about always using CTRL+Click to get there. Also, if you work with blind individuals who use screen readers, as I do, that additional key combination is messier when everything is being controlled by the keyboard. Having things automatically open in their own window (or tab if the user has their browser configured to open what would normally be new windows as new tabs) is far more convenient and user friendly.
Links in forum posts already behave like this for me, i.e. open in a new tab by default (and focus is automatically changed to that tab). Unless you truly mean you want them in a new window, not a new tab, in which case I strongly disagree that that should be the default behaviour.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
They don't for me, and I have every blessed browser configured the same way, and everywhere else they do.

If I paste a link in on these forums, or click on any link in these forums, it always replaces the page I'm looking at in the tab where I had been viewing it with the clicked-on content.

This is akin to the very weird, in my opinion, feature of these forums where if you're looking at a list of topics and swipe over a topic title link to copy it, if you don't do that very quickly that link will open (and in the same window) on its own without you clicking it.

Both of these behaviors annoy me to no end, and I cannot seem to make them stop.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I'll give you three (of the same URL, already neatly packaged in different formats). See my earlier topic:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/forum-proposal-tests-scribbles.3515806/

and the three links at the bottom. I have tested this in Brave (which is now my primary), Edge Dev, the latest Google Chrome, and Firefox and clicking on any one of those links replaces my view of that my own topic containing said links with the link topic. I never get a new tab (and I have all my browsers configured to open new windows in new tabs instead).

Again, if it's needed, I'd be happy to video capture this happening.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'll give you three (of the same URL, already neatly packaged in different formats). See my earlier topic:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/forum-proposal-tests-scribbles.3515806/

and the three links at the bottom. I have tested this in Brave (which is now my primary), Edge Dev, the latest Google Chrome, and Firefox and clicking on any one of those links replaces my view of that my own topic containing said links with the link topic. I never get a new tab (and I have all my browsers configured to open new windows in new tabs instead).

Again, if it's needed, I'd be happy to video capture this happening.
Ah, so in that example it does not open a new tab for me. If I had to guess, the behaviour is to open in the current tab if it's a link to somewhere within the TH forums, open in new tab if it's an external link (which includes the TH non-forum site).

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Oooh, oooooh, ooooooooh!! Next issue!! I'm on a completely unintentional roll!

I have, for many years, employed what are commonly called sneer/snark quotes, the use of the accent grave character, for effect. In this message, https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-on-old-laptop.3514651/post-21242108, I had enclosed the phrase "the pleasure" in snark quotes.

I've never seen snark quotes used as any form of BBCODE or formatting, but that phrase now appears in a box, which was certainly not the intent.

If it took me by surprise it will eventually do the same to some other unsuspecting member.

Status
Not open for further replies.