New Topic Thread - Corporate or Home User

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

As someone who is not a million miles away associated with Dell, just out of
curiosity I was wondering if most of the comments on this NG and complaints
wether valid or not (as it is immaterial) are from home users or from
Corporate users????

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>As someone who is not a million miles away associated with Dell, just out of
>curiosity I was wondering if most of the comments on this NG and complaints
>wether valid or not (as it is immaterial) are from home users or from
>Corporate users????

Why the either/or explicit in your question, Fixer?

I suspect some here are in the same boat as I am, using Dells at
home and at work. Are we excluded from your survey? Or do we
have to pick one category only to be counted in?
--
OJ III

Fixer wrote:
> As someone who is not a million miles away associated with Dell, just
> out of curiosity I was wondering if most of the comments on this NG
> and complaints wether valid or not (as it is immaterial) are from
> home users or from Corporate users????

Most corporate users don't have any personal vested interest ($)
invested in a computer and little reason to complain since their
corporate IT/purchasing departments take care of their problems. The
corporate level of support and service is typically much different
(read: more expensive) than the personal/home/small office level of
support, and if the corporation is a volume purchaser, they have far
more leverage for problem and service resoltion than do the
personal/home/small office purchasers - thus no need to post here.
OTOH, reading this and other computer newsgroups reveals that a
substantial number of postings are relative to older, out of warranty
computers, installation of new/updated operating systems, software
issues, networking, etc, which are not necessarily the responsibility of
the vendor.

Bruce

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> As someone who is not a million miles away associated with Dell, just
> out of curiosity I was wondering if most of the comments on this NG
> and complaints wether valid or not (as it is immaterial) are from home
> users or from Corporate users????

At home, I've got two Dell laptops (3 yrs old and brand new) and two Dell desktops (18
mos old and 15 mos old) that I support. As far as hardware reliability goes, they are
fine. When it comes to software, configuration, or compatibility issues, I can
generally solve most of these myself, either by googling or through the help of a
newsgroup or forum. On occassion, when I know the problem is one that Dell should
support, and I can't find the answer myself, I've found Dell (India or domestic) to be
just awful. I once couldn't find where certain Microsoft Picture It! 7.0 templates
were located, and Dell phone support told me that I'd have to reinstall XP to locate
these. I later found the answer on a Microsoft newsgroup. The answer was just insert
Microsoft Picture It! 7.0 cd number two. Dell has never, never provided correct
answers for me. I also find their administrative functions to be less than average.
My last laptop was delivered to an old address, and of course correcting anything with
Dell is a nightmare. I continue to buy from Dell because of price (and perhaps because
of my own perception, maybe wrong, of better than average hardware reliability).

At work, we have around 500 Dell machines, laptops and desktops, and servers. I've got
two Dell desktops, one four years old, that has run great, and a one year old, whose
hard drive died last month. That happens. We all have Dell LCD monitors, and are
happy with them.

I can't comment on how our corporate account is treated by Dell. I've never had a
problem with a machine at work, but when someone does, they simply let our IT
department handle it. It's all transparent to the user. Our IT people generally don't
have to call Dell about problems, as they are able to troubleshoot and fix most things.
Their main reason for calling Dell is to return defective hardware/parts replacement.
I've only heard good things from our IT people about Dell.

By the way, at home, I also have had three Gateway machines over the last seven years.
I've found that their hardware was unreliable when they were a new company, but it has
gotten much better. Their technical support, in my opinion, has always been very good,
better than Dell. I no longer buy from them because they are expensive.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Bruce

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

It was my mistake I never meant it to be either/or/explicit it was just an
attempt to start a new thread of meaningfull conversation and was in no
means meant to exclude anyone the more opinions expressed the better :)

Fixer wrote:
> As someone who is not a million miles away associated with Dell, just
> out of curiosity I was wondering if most of the comments on this NG
> and complaints wether valid or not (as it is immaterial) are from
> home users or from Corporate users????

I'm in both camps. I have Dell laptops at home, and I also act as a
consultant for several companies, most of which have a proportion of Dell
machines, including laptops, desktops and servers. I also work with
computers from Compaq/HP and Sony, amongst others.

In terms of who has the best service, well, they're all about the same. Play
by their rules, do whatever they ask you to do (I prefer to do this by EMail
if possible), and the problem gets resolved. I wouldn't say that any
particular make is more or less reliable than any other, and I tend to deal
with Dell simply because their pricing is usually more competitive.

Regards,

Pete.