New Toshiba Encore Tablet Has Bay Trail-T, Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Reasonable spec's, reasonable price. Wonder what the battery capacity and actual usage life is.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance that the atom Z2xxx series was giving in windows tablets--just playing with it in a store. IIRC, I think they had an issue with battery life during video playback though. With the performance boost of the new bay trail atom line, I could see cheaper tablets running full windows being pretty handy. I would honestly ditch android tablets if these things don't have some severe limitation of battery life.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
@sonofliberty08

Care to elaborate on why? The latest generation of Atom CPUs are really very decent for performance per watt and if what is expected from Bay Trail it is only likely to get faster and have lower power usage.

I think this gen of Atoms will really put the cat among the pidgeons as far as low voltage CPUs/SoCs go.

Mar 19, 2012
haven't they consider AMD chip inside, might have been cheaper and savings from that may be used to fund a higher spec'd screen that the AMD chip can support with similar performance, that will eventually lead to same pricing

why can't the most admired tech companies mix practical yet effective, and most of the times efficient, components to bring manufacturing cost low, but instead they opt for a name-bearing component as it's selling point only to make huge discounts on retail prices later on should consumers stay away mostly because of price considerations,

Mar 19, 2012
haven't they consider AMD chip inside, might have been cheaper and savings from that may be used to fund a higher spec'd screen that the AMD chip can support with similar performance, that will eventually lead to same pricing

why can't the most admired tech companies mix practical yet effective, and most of the times efficient, components to bring manufacturing cost low, but instead they opt for a name-bearing component as it's selling point only to make huge discounts on retail prices later on should consumers stay away mostly because of price considerations,

Status
Not open for further replies.