New Toshiba hard drive makes brief grinding sound.

hyuodfwegyu

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I got a brand new Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm internal hard drive on amazon. The hard drive made a semi loud grinding sound whenever I downloaded something on it. I looked it up and a lot of websites said that it was normal, others said that my hard drive was dying. I asked my friends and they said that I should have it replaced, which I did. My new Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm hard drive which I got as a replacement is making the same sound, but it's a little less extreme and occurs every few seconds. when downloading large downloads that last 2 hours or so the grinding sound increases. The grinding sound then resumes to what it originally was once the download is finished and I'm downloading something new. What should I do? should I return this hard drive and also just refrain from buying them online?

Solution

No worries. Suggest you...

hyuodfwegyu

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

Sorry for not responding to your question when you're trying to help me with my problem, life has been very frustrating/stressful and I had problem I needed to deal with. My hard drive produces either the grinding sound or the loud grinding sound for the Toshiba hard drive. However, my hard drive showed none of the symptoms that were listed that indicated that the grinding sound meant that my hard drive was dying. I also used Speccy and Crystal Disk Info, both told me that my hard drive was in good shape.

No worries. Suggest you have your info backed up anyways just in case and because it is also a good practice. If the problem persists, you may want to contact the drive manufacture while it is still in warranty just in case.

Solution