New Toshiba X300 4TB HDD refuses to complete a search, issue not present on other computers

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I recently purchased a new 4TB Toshiba x300 drive. Initially the drive was formatted NTFS and partitioned GPT. At the start search within folders themselves would still turn up results and load but searching the drive as a whole would instantly return zero results, and this issue would eventually persists to all the date on the drive.

The data was copied and re-transferred to a WD Black 1TB drive using MBR and presented no similar issues, and I have never seen a drive just dump a search like this. I ran the drive downstairs to a rig running windows 7 (my personal rig runs 10) jacked it into that mobo's sata ports and the drive not only runs fine but it completes searches as well instantly.

I ran chkdsk and found nothing wrong, and all the data is fine. Short of transferring 500gb of data over to an external 3.0 WD passport then reformatting and/or re-partitioning I'm at a complete loss as to what's causing this and how to fix it. I might have Amazon send me a replacement drive if I can't get it sorted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Good job!

Basically you could try running chkdsk next time when something like this happens (of course after you've backed up your data), to see if there are any errors with the partition's file system. Although it would be strange to do this just with that computer, nonetheless it's a good option: chkdsk X: /r /f (where X is the letter of the drive you wish to check). This is just for future reference.
Note that you should always use GPT for drives larger than 2.2TB as MBR is limited to that capacity and you won't be able to use the drive's full storage capacity.

I'll keep an eye on the thread for new info if something comes up. :)
Hey there, SecretCobraz.

This is a bit weird. Have you had any other issues with that drive, besides the search thing? You could try updating your BIOS/UEFI, to see if that fixes things up. Other than that, you should try it with different cables and a different SATA port on the Win 10 computer, to see if the same thing happens (even though the WD Black didn't have that problem when connected with the same port and cables). I know you've ran chkdsk, but it would be nice if you could download an HDD diagnostic tool and scan the drive for errors with it. Another option would be to try and update your OS if there are available updates. Try the drive with another Win 10 computer if possible.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
UEFI is up to date on my Asus board. Had zero issues with the drive otherwise. I'm gonna swap sata data cables and ports and see if there is any change after I'm done backing up data to a WD passport. I have all the latest WIN 10 updates and sadly I don't have another rig on hand that's running 10.

If the sata cable swap doesn't fix the issue, I'm gonna try reformatting and re-partitioning the drive both as GPT first then MBR to see if there is any difference. I might run crystal disk after this data transfer just to see if there is anything wrong.

EDIT: Sata cable/port swap no good, same result.

EDIT2: So after a reformat the search on my 4TB now works no problems on Windows 10. My only explanation is that a demon was hiding in the partition and had to be excised from this plane of existence, I'll do some testing.

Good job!

Basically you could try running chkdsk next time when something like this happens (of course after you've backed up your data), to see if there are any errors with the partition's file system. Although it would be strange to do this just with that computer, nonetheless it's a good option: chkdsk X: /r /f (where X is the letter of the drive you wish to check). This is just for future reference.
Note that you should always use GPT for drives larger than 2.2TB as MBR is limited to that capacity and you won't be able to use the drive's full storage capacity.

I'll keep an eye on the thread for new info if something comes up. :)

Solution