[SOLVED] New video card, constant problems

Jan 24, 2019
I am having an issue with my computer crashing in different ways while I am gaming. Some times while I am trying to play a game just the game with crash and I will be sent back to my desktop, other times the entire computer will reboot and I will get a generic message saying that there was an error and I will be given the option to start in safe made, and finally I will sometimes just get the BSOD. I don't seem to have a problem when I'm just browsing the internet or anything that is low intensity.

I have tried to reinstall my GPU drivers several time and even tried different versions of the driver.

I've run sfc/scannow and had no errors show up.

I tried using the windows memory diagnostic tool. no errors

my PC specs are

Asus M5A78L-M plus/USB3
AMD fx-8350 ( fresh thermal paste)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
24Gb RAM
XFX RX 580 8gb
Western Digital Black 1 TB
Corsair PSU VS650 Watt
5 - 120mm case fans
Windows 7 service pack 1

The problems all started when I put in the rx580 but I tried just putting my old video card back in and had the same problem.

Solution
I'd be inclined to try a known good kit of memory. Those modules are sketchy. You can probably purchase a 2 x 8gb kit from G.Skill or another vendor and return them if you get the same results. But then it seems like the motherboard could be on it's way out as well. When did all this start happening? Was it after the GPU or memory upgrade?
I think you might have a PSU problem.

I have seen where the VS series from Corsair has caused lots of problems because it is of low quality (from just about everything I've seen).

I would check the voltages with HWInfo. (+12, +5 and + 3.3)

They should be within 5% of nominal.

Barring that....I would probably replace the PSU as I have read so many bad comments regarding that series that I wouldn't want my new RX580 connected to it.

Jan 24, 2019

the PSU is actually brand new, like, its been in my computer for maybe 24 hours new. I had the same thought that it might be a PSU issue so I replaced my old unit a Corsair TX650 watt that was about 10 years old. I was hoping that would solve my problem but I tried playing FarCry 4 with the graphics set to ultra and the computer rebooted on me.
I did still check the voltage on the PSU just in case a managed to draw the short straw and get a bad unit though

VCORE Voltage 1.260V
3.3V 3.284V
5V 5.070V
12V 12.182V

if these units are really that bad though I may still consider getting a new one soon.

Those voltages look good....and the VCore voltage looks good too.

Did you check those at idle?

If you did....I'd also do this. I'd start HWinfo...minimize it....run a game, but exit the game before it crashes (hopefully you can do this). Then look at the "low" readings for the PSU.

It's possible that the voltages only go low during a game.

Jan 24, 2019

BIOS had my voltage at 12.182V
HWinfo shows is at 10.544V it stayed that way while playing Battlefield 1, right up until I tried to exit the game and the computer crashed

Jan 24, 2019

Ok, now this is getting irritating. Just put in the second new PSU and I am getting pretty much identical voltage readings on this unit as I got on the last one. Could it be a bad motherboard? It seems like the odds of getting two power supplies that are bad in the exact same way when they are from two different manufacturers is kinda slim.

Btw the new unit is a
Rosewill PHOTON series 750w 80 plus gold certified

Not the best I know but it was on sale $65 down from $129

Ps. The BIOS is still reading all voltages where they should be, but HWinfo software is showing the 12v rail at 10.544v. this is at idle not under load, both readings. could HWinfo just be way off?

Jan 30, 2019
i have a similar build only im using a saphire radeon rx 460 card i have to install the saphire trix program to get the fans running properly otherwise they dont seam to engage i get the exact same issue if its not running

Jan 24, 2019

NEMIX RAM EXTREME AMD 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10600 / 10666 ) about 1 month old now 16gb total

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3 - 10600, I dont really have any info on these. I bought them on Ebay a while back, the sticker on them just gives the info I provided. there in only one permanent marking on them, gold letters D3N801D-a

Jan 24, 2019

ok, the 4gb sticks crash and reboot the computer about 2-3minutes after I start playing BF1, no matter what ram slots they are in; I decided to test both pairs of sticks in both channel slots.
the 8gb sticks ran the game for about 10-15 minutes in the 2 and 4 slot before the picture froze and the sound started buzzing forcing me to do a hard reset as ctrl-alt-del didn't do anything.
the same 8gb sticks in the 1 and 3 slots let me run the game without too much problem, there was some minor chip and the sound would cut out found a second every now and again but the system didn't crash. Once i figured i played enough i exited the game and pulled up HWinfo to check the sensor readings, it is showing my 12v rail sitting at 10.544v at idle and during the game it dropped to 10.344v

in case it matters for ram slots
l l l l
1 2 3 4
the number 1 position being closest to the processor and the 4 being closest to the edge of the board.

Jan 24, 2019

I actually updated the bios a while back. I think before I got this card, I do have the 502 version.

Jan 24, 2019

everything seemed to be fine until I put in the new GPU. right now all the parts on the computer are pretty much new. i think the oldest thing is my hard drive at about 1 year. I bought the motherboard and processor in October and I got the memory ( 2x8gb) and the GPU at Christmas.

Jan 24, 2019

before I got the aftermarket cooler for the CPU it was getting up into the 75-80c mark, now that I have a new case with 5 fans and that cooler I haven't seen it get over 55c.

the GPU never went above 72c, it wouldn't fit in my old case which is why I bought the new one. the fans for the card don't even turn on until I start gaming because the card doesn't go above 41c at idle.

I only let the CPU get that hot a couple times, pretty much just as long as it took me to figure out it was happening.

Jan 30, 2019
my vid card is rated to 90c well by the manufactuers standard anyway but i would notice when it hit in the 60s it would start to do the exact same as your having try to run the fans before playing your games or putting in under load see if that helps i never like the heat to fan speed curve never seems to keep the temps down i like my stuff as cold as i can get it

Jan 30, 2019
i have a fairly similar setup as you
msi 970a g43plus (ms7974)
amd fx 8350
saphire radeon rx 460 4gb ddr5
2x8 gb hyper fury 1866mhz
and an aftermarket air cooler

and yh if the vid card hits anyrthing above 60 it starts to play the same silly ah heck games you are having the way i fixed it is to have the fans running at max havent had these issues since unless i dont turn the fans up