[SOLVED] New Video Card for Image Editing (No gaming)

Dec 31, 2018
Hi All - Well I have the second NVidia card dying in my rig. So need to get a new one. My rig is pretty much built around Photoshop 2019. I do some (maybe at or less than 6 times a year) 4k video editing and need to encode for Youtube 4k 25fps playback. When I've been editing in that, tasks are brutally slow, but for the amount of times I edit. Right now I have one 4k monitor. Slim chance I would add another one in a few years. Photoshop is more memory/cpu than GPU dependent. Though there are only 2 functions I regularly use that would need GPU. I'm sure if the memory bandwidth (128-bit, 256-bit) really matters. My power supply is 430W I think.

At this point I'd be partial to an AMD/ATI card. Budget is $150-200. 2-4GB of RAM I'm thinking? I just need PCI 3.0 and two display ports.

For the record, I DO NOT DO ANY GAMING. (Just saying so folks don't try to sell me on a $1,000+++ card )

For pure Photoshop CC (don't think it is called 2019), a GTX 1050 Ti or similar will be perfect.

The biggest part you want to watch out for is vram, Photoshop is very vram hungry. My mom who is a photographer was on a 750 ti but the 2GB of vram didn't cut it and was making photoshop complain. So I swapped in a 1060 6GB I had, and problem solved.

I've seen photoshop use around 3-4GB of vram, so the 4GB 1050 ti should be good.

I'd not recommend a power hungry AMD RX card since your PSU is only 430W, if you upgrade it, then you could run a RX 570 4GB which is cheaper than the 1050 ti (and it is faster).

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

If you don't mind buying used you can get a GTX 1060 off of ebay for that budget. 6GB card.

Dec 31, 2018
@ Lord. My budget is $200 tops. Anything beyond my specs in the OP is overkill and a total waste of money. I have an i7 CPU. And I do not want a nvidia card.