[SOLVED] New Wifi Mesh System - Nest or Orbi?

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have a $325 credit through work. The house is big... yard even bigger... so 4k sq ft house, but also driveway area (we hang out there a lot ) and opposite side patio/porch. So figure 6k total with outside areas. I have ATT fiber 1gb.

Any suggestions between these two or any others?

Thanks!

Solution
Of the two I'd go with Orbi.

The higher model Orbi's have a dedicated channel specifically for wireless backhaul that the Nests lack also on most of the tests I've seen with budget as no object the Orbi's tend to come out on top.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a $325 credit through work. The house is big... yard even bigger... so 4k sq ft house, but also driveway area (we hang out there a lot ) and opposite side patio/porch. So figure 6k total with outside areas. I have ATT fiber 1gb.

Any suggestions between these two or any others?

Thanks!
Do you have any etherrnet cable infrastructure ? Using wired access points rather than wireless mesh (mess) is much better.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Do you have any etherrnet cable infrastructure ? Using wired access points rather than wireless mesh (mess) is much better.

I don't... but its a fairly new house so it would be possible. Conversely, its a very open layout so not many walls interrupting the signal.

That being said perhaps in the future i would run some cat in the crawl space to the bedroom and back deck area to improve the signal out there.

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Of the two I'd go with Orbi.

The higher model Orbi's have a dedicated channel specifically for wireless backhaul that the Nests lack also on most of the tests I've seen with budget as no object the Orbi's tend to come out on top.

Solution