[SOLVED] New WiFi with Old Laptop via Dongle

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

I have an old HP Pavilion 17-g161us laptop from 2015 that I've reinvigorated by adding an SSD. I recently updated my home APs with Netgear WAC104 Access Points in the hope of obtaining faster connection speed and better security for the devices on the network. That worked fine for everything except for the laptop. It's so old that only 2.4 MHz frequency and older WPA2-PSK [TKIP] security is supported. That forces me to enable the less secure WPA2-PSK [TKIP] on my APs.

I'd like to be able to use only WPA2-PSK [AES] on my APs for better security and also get faster speed. I'm wondering if getting a WiFi USB dongle will solve my problem. I don't know enough about this to know if the code that implements the security protocols comes with a dongle (drivers or somewhere else) or if that lives on the laptop. Can anyone tell me if a new WiFi dongle will give the improved security and faster speed I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Mike

Solution
Hi,

I have an old HP Pavilion 17-g161us laptop from 2015 that I've reinvigorated by adding an SSD. I recently updated my home APs with Netgear WAC104 Access Points in the hope of obtaining faster connection speed and better security for the devices on the network. That worked fine for everything except for the laptop. It's so old that only 2.4 MHz frequency and older WPA2-PSK [TKIP] security is supported. That forces me to enable the less secure WPA2-PSK [TKIP] on my APs.

I'd like to be able to use only WPA2-PSK [AES] on my APs for better security and also get faster speed. I'm wondering if getting a WiFi USB dongle will solve my problem. I don't know enough about this to know if the code that implements the security protocols...
Hi,

I'd like to be able to use only WPA2-PSK [AES] on my APs for better security and also get faster speed. I'm wondering if getting a WiFi USB dongle will solve my problem. I don't know enough about this to know if the code that implements the security protocols comes with a dongle (drivers or somewhere else) or if that lives on the laptop. Can anyone tell me if a new WiFi dongle will give the improved security and faster speed I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Mike
Dongles have same features as cards just make sure you get one that can work with your OS.

Solution