Question New Win10 install, newly built PC, Edge only opens some web pages.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Since I was finally able to install win10 on my new build, I'm having trouble with internet browsing.
Win 10 Pro
Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS Socket LGA1700/ Intel H670/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit - PVS432G320C6K
Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
gpu: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory
Internal memory: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive

I can open Edge, but for some reason it won't let me open every website I want to visit. Also , it won't download anything.

I want to install Firefox, but again, when I try to open the page to download FF, I get the message about having trouble finding that site.

I did download Firefox for win10 on my other PC using a usb drive, then tried to install it on the new pc, but it wouldn't let me.

After reading everything I could on this issue I've found that it IS an issue for many people using win10. I've read most all of the Microsoft answers, and in the replies, of course non of their solutions worked.

I tried looking for updates, found, and updated my network drivers [I'm using an AT&T modem fiberoptics setup with a D-link type usb into the new PC to connect]. Also, without the D-link there are no "found" connections available vs my wifes laptops which has win10.

I've also went into Edge settings, and couldn't find anything that looked like it would help. My current "old" Win7 pc is working just fine with the same modem, and D line usb.

I did do a diagnostic on my wifi connection, and I'm getting a "wifi 3 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". I don't know if that is having anything to do with not being able to open every webpage/site, or not.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Everything you've faced is to do with connection issue, i don't think drivers for wifi dongle is installed correctly. Edge has built in ads, so that's all you're seeing, can't connect to anything outside of that bubble and Firefox won't install because of no internet.

Can you connect an ethernet cable to get things going? May need to use another computer to install network drivers for your motherboard though.

If wifi dongle is installed properly, check it is functioning in device manager. Check signal strength and there would be a password you'll need to enter for wifi.

Lutfij

Titan
Also, without the D-link there are no "found" connections available vs my wifes laptops which has win10.
I'm not familiar with how your network operator provides internet to your crib but your motherboard doesn't come with a WiFi adapter bundled if you were expecting to connect to the internet as your wife's laptop is connected.

If you were indeed connected to the internet using an adapter provided by your ISP, then the issue you're speaking of can and will be from either the wrong drivers being installed onto your platform during OS install or none were installed.

When you were installing the OS, were you asked to connect to an available network? Also do you have the option to connect using an Ethernet cable?

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Everything you've faced is to do with connection issue, i don't think drivers for wifi dongle is installed correctly. Edge has built in ads, so that's all you're seeing, can't connect to anything outside of that bubble and Firefox won't install because of no internet.

Can you connect an ethernet cable to get things going? May need to use another computer to install network drivers for your motherboard though.

If wifi dongle is installed properly, check it is functioning in device manager. Check signal strength and there would be a password you'll need to enter for wifi.

Yes, I'm getting full wifi strength with the D link plugged into the usb port. With the d link I can see the available connections, then I have to enter the password. [also should be noted that the D link has to be unplugging, then plugged in every time I start the pc, and the password re-entered. ].

I probably can install the driver to a usb using my other PC then try to install them on my new PC, so that may be a viable option.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Also, without the D-link there are no "found" connections available vs my wifes laptops which has win10.
I'm not familiar with how your network operator provides internet to your crib but your motherboard doesn't come with a WiFi adapter bundled if you were expecting to connect to the internet as your wife's laptop is connected.

If you were indeed connected to the internet using an adapter provided by your ISP, then the issue you're speaking of can and will be from either the wrong drivers being installed onto your platform during OS install or none were installed.

When you were installing the OS, were you asked to connect to an available network? Also do you have the option to connect using an Ethernet cable?

During installing I was asked to connect to an available network, but since I figured I would need the D link [which I was using on my current/older PC to research install problems that kept popping up], I just opted for the "I don't have internet" option, at that time.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
The internet is connected, and has installed all of the current updates. Its just the Edge will only open certain websites. I can even watch Youtube videos, but some site just won't open [one being the Firefox down loader].

I don't have an ethernet cable, but the modem is only about ten feet from the D link, and the signal strength is very strong. I

I want to install Steam so I can start gaming on this new PC. However, until I resolve the browser issue, I'm not going to try it at this point.

Last, most all of the issues related to this that I've researched are more related to problems after using the pc for a time. Most of the solutions of those issues involve resetting the device, or browser. Since my setup is new, there really isn't enough going on for those solutions to fit my problems.

I will try downloading the driver on my current pc to a usb drive, then installing it on the new pc.

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Last edited:

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Update: Looks like it was the wifi, usb d-link. I was using an old usb wifi setup, and it would work enough to connect, but not enough to open all webpages.

I used a newer link from my current computer, but it wasn't being "seen" by win10.

Its been a while since I bought the newer link, and I had forgot that it came with a installation disc. [in other words it didn't install the drivers when you plug the link into the usb port].

After downloading the drivers on a jump drive, then installing them on the new PC, I was able to start opening web pages. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Reactions: cAllen