[SOLVED] New Windows 7 Build

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I have a legacy application that only runs on 32-bit Win 7. My primary Win 7 platform, a Core 2 Duo Q9550 died leaving me only my backup machine - very slow I3-2120.

I'm looking to build a new machine using Skylake architecture - I3-6320 CPU and H110 motherboard. The mobo is new and comes with the drivers. I know there's a bit of effort to install Win 7 from USB but it doesn't look insurmountable.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions or knowledge of issues I may run into??

Thanks in advance for any insights!!

Wyatt

Solution
You don't really need any advanced insights. It's pretty standard. Just do a clean install of Windows 7, which should be easy enough to do via USB on that system provided you are familiar with configuring BIOS boot settings to some degree, and then install the Windows 7 drivers for chipset, network adapters (LAN/Ethernet), audio and any required display adapter or integrated graphics drivers from the motherboard product page.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
You don't really need any advanced insights. It's pretty standard. Just do a clean install of Windows 7, which should be easy enough to do via USB on that system provided you are familiar with configuring BIOS boot settings to some degree, and then install the Windows 7 drivers for chipset, network adapters (LAN/Ethernet), audio and any required display adapter or integrated graphics drivers from the motherboard product page.

Solution

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014

Thanks!

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Well....I got it done but it wasn't very straightforward...

1. I wound up having to start with very old Win 7 media (IE 8!!) but it did load.
  2. Once loaded I didn't have USB drivers for keyboard. I did have a PS2 mouse thankfully. So I had to use the on-screen keyboard to complete setup.
  3. Tried to install updates and it failed.
  4. Installed MOBO drivers - now have keyboard and mouse working.
  5. Windows said it wasn't activated - went through the Microsoft reactivate process.
  6. Tried to download updates - browser is too old.
  7. Downloaded IE 11 on a different PC and tried to install - IE 11 requires SP1.
  8. Couldn't locate SP1 on Microsoft site. Downloaded from an alternative site.
  9. Updated to SP1 then was able to update to IE 11.
  10. Updates now working - Installed 157 updates (13 failed).
  11. Updated again, 12 of the 13 that failed the first time succeeded.
12 Updated one more time and the last update succeeded.

I do like my little machine - simple mini-itx setup in a small case, I3-6320 CPU, using integrated GPU; one 500 GB SSD; no monster cooling or half-dozen case fans - one case fan and basic CPU cooler.

Woo hooo! Right on man.

Well, great job, and what a learning experience too. So, here is the moral of the story, I think.

Windows 7 is considered "Legacy" for a reason. So there are three options here, one of which you've already tackled but certainly this scenario will come around again at some point.

1. Do what you did this time, the next time something like this happens, except that it will likely be an even worse scenario next time because by then there will likely not be ANY hardware on the new market that will support Windows 7 and it's likely that the Windows update system will be depracted for Windows 7 by then.

2. Don't bother with trying to run an ACTUAL Windows 7 machine. Just use your Windows 10 machine and install Windows 7 in a VM, which should certainly enable it to handle your application.

3. Start looking around for a different application to replace the one you are currently using, that is compatible with Windows 10. I'm not sure what the application is you are using but most often there are modern options for most types of older software. At some point just about everybody has to migrate to something newer and cut the cord on some older software. I've had to do it with shop management software that I was using for like 20 years, and there was literally no way to migrate the database into anything so I had to start from scratch on all my customer records and invoices. Giant PITA but it had become impossible to continue using that program and what I have now has like 300% more functionality that what I had. I'm glad I finally just said to hell with it.