New Windows 8 Store Allows Install of Apps on 5 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
while on Android and iOS there's unlimited installs as long as you're logged into your account.... Do I smell bad DRM in Microsoft's part again?

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]First App that they need is Steam![/citation]
That would be great, if valve fixed the bugs that steam is riddled with first...

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]while on Android and iOS there's unlimited installs as long as you're logged into your account.... Do I smell bad DRM in Microsoft's part again?[/citation]

Your point is valid, but with the way programs like Office and AV currently work, this is alteast an improvement imo.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]Your point is valid, but with the way programs like Office and AV currently work, this is alteast an improvement imo.[/citation]The torrent "stores" don't have any limits except bandwidth.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]AidanJC[/nom]That would be great, if valve fixed the bugs that steam is riddled with first...[/citation]

Such as...?

IDK...... all I see this type of a system doing is, reducing piracy, giving a share of money from every software company to MS (Royalty), and going more into a bully kind of a company. With it allowing only certain programs to be installed on the forthcoming OS.
It doesn't sound too good if it sticks only to this kind of policy. The 5 separate computer installation is like a multi user license, doesn't make too much sense either for a person who owns just one rig and needs to pay the royalties for the other 4 rigs he's never going to own.
Really, MS does seem to be going bananas..... or should I say Apple.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
"As previously reported, the storefront will be the only place consumers can purchase and download applications to the new Metro-themed touch-friendly environment"

That kind of control has no place in a full fledged OS. I don't like it. That is a huge break for Microsoft and probably the most important aspect of this article. Despite saying it was previously reported.

[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]"As previously reported, the storefront will be the only place consumers can purchase and download applications to the new Metro-themed touch-friendly environment"That kind of control has no place in a full fledged OS. I don't like it. That is a huge break for Microsoft and probably the most important aspect of this article. Despite saying it was previously reported.[/citation]

I read that as it being the only place for "mini App" stuff similar to whats already on all your smart phones. You'll still be able to buy / download / whatever regular software and install it on your PC or other device, it just won't be through the metro UI.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
This is the future my friends... people in general are dumb and even more stupid when it comes to computers...

the more dumb down and simple u can make something the more sells u will see

Status
Not open for further replies.