Build Advice New Workstation and Gaming Computer for Student of BA Course

Sep 11, 2019
Hey there i'm new to the forums and signed up solely to get help in working out what I need and don't need for a computer to fit my needs.
I am a Games Art BA student in my final year and my current computer is very outdated; the image here is the brief overview of the components. The graphics card was given to me by a friend as I was running onboard a year and a half ago...I know ouch. Now the bulk of my work is done using a few programs the main of which are;
  • 3DS Max
  • Mudbox
  • Photoshop
  • Quixel
  • Paint Tool Sai
  • Unreal Engine
  • Unity
  • Maya
And quite a few others; i'd also like to be able to play AAA titles and other games to a fairly decent level but i'm happy turning down options and having a less than perfect look to achieve this. My computer currently struggles through this badly and due to the nature of how outdated it is I plan to just do a complete new build purchase as an investment for the future where I can then interchange and upgrade individual parts. At this current moment I suffer with bad anxiety and don't have the confidence to fully build up my own computer and will be buying a custom built pc from somewhere such as SCAN. I know i'll pay more but I'm okay with this, what i'm not okay with is having excess money spent on the extra parts I don't need. I just wanted to get peoples pure advice on what I need to the specifics. I.e. what graphics card do i need, how much ram and what particular type etc.

Sorry to ask all this I'm very new to computer specs and have been learning gradually from others but I'm not confident enough to purchase the right pc. I don't necessarily have a specific budget as I will save for this or buy on an installment plan dependent on my maintenance grants from the SLC. As such I want the best that I need to do what I need without overspending and being frivilous; if that makes sense. I'm a student but willing to invest for my future.

Thanks!
Eevee.

P.s. yes i'm a girl, but I love all the boy stuff too xD

EDIT:

Region: UK
Pricing: £1000 (can stretch to £1500)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Let us know what region you are in because prices make a difference where you’re located. And what is your budget? Many people will suggest computer builds based on that information

Sep 11, 2019
Let us know what region you are in because prices make a difference where you’re located. And what is your budget? Many people will suggest computer builds based on that information

Ah apologies will also edit this info into my first post but I'm in the UK and my budget is around £1000, but I can stretch to £1500 as i'm looking for a solid base build for work and gaming that I can interchange and upgrade myself as time passes.

Last edited: