New Workstation build:Entry to mid level graphics card.

galib20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Greetings to everyone!
Parts List: AMD Ryzen 5, 1500X, Asus B350M-A, 4*4GB AData 2400 RAM. AOC 15.6 inch monitor(E1670Swu)
Want to add a graphics card for running data processing, project management applications, and movie videos. I would also like to use my TV as a monitor at a later time. What are the good choices? Will upgrade to a VA panel 18 to 21.5 inches, at some point.
Addendum: Preferred applications;Mid Level Designing and Simulation.

galib20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your reply. I have the following inventory(items in stock or on their way for final delivery):
1. CPU.
2. Motherboard.
3. 2*4GB ADATA, i.e. two memory slots filled.
4. Case(Circle CT LIL case).
5. UPS.
6. Mechanical Keyboard+ mouse.
7. HDD(3.5+2.5). 2.5 from my laptop till I get a new laptop.
8. SFX PSU.
9. ASUS 710-2-SL graphics(but I want to change to a entry to mid level workstation graphics card).
10. Monitor(from another build).
Except no. 8 & 9, all in stock.

galib20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
I read somewhere that Quadcore processors work best if memory module is dedicated to every core/thread; so I am thinking of putting the same memory module in the vacant slots.

This might be true for older quad cores, but for modern CPUs it is not. In truth, you have a dual channel board, you will have less likelihood of problems running with only 2 RAM sticks. Also, RAM can be finicky, mixing and matching RAM, even of the same model, does not always work. You also have the fact that with 4 sticks, there is more probability that one would fail. But don't worry about any of that, you are too far down the road and in the end it wont matter. For the record, I have 4 sticks in my dual channel board and have no problems.

What you would benefit from is faster RAM. Ryzen scales very well with high speed RAM, so I would have gotten 3000mhz or faster. But that really only matters at ultra high fps and your rig is not that kinda rig.

The 1050ti is the best budget card available right now. I would not recommend getting any GPU that is on a lower tier or you will sacrifice fps and quality of gameplay. It cost around $150ish. So if that is in your price range, go get it.

If you have a little more money in your budget, I would go with the 1060 6gb (I would not get the 1060 3gb). The 1060 6gb is one of the best 1080p gaming GPUs around. It is a good midrange card and will pair nicely with your system. But due to cryptocurrency mining, the prices of the 1060 6gb are very high and you are looking around $275.

So pending on your budget, I would look at one of those 2 cards. AMD 580 is very similar to the 1060, but its pricing is usually too high to justify due to mining.

galib20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for the explanation.

galib20

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your reply. Added an edit to the original post.