New WoW Patch Paves Way for Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
While I have not played it in years. Still amazes me that WoW is still going. Wonder when it will finally breathes its last? Any bets on that?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Someone at Blizzard has been quoted as saying that this will be the last WoW expansion. They aren't going to let this peter out and get to be a "has been" game. If this is their last expansion, I predict 2 years and they'll shut down the servers. That's about when interest in the latest content runs out.

Being a player since open beta, I hope it goes on longer. However, they can certainly retain their player base by going with the next generation of MMO. Their next title is certain to draw new crowds.

I just applied for a job with them. I've been so impressed with the company. they actually do fully communicate with their customers. They go to the point of pain for customer service. (If you doubt the "pain" part, go read the WoW forums. their CM's certainly do go through pain in the name of customer service.) I hope against all hope that I get that job. It would be my dream job.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i say it'll be like the origional everquest.. people will play it a decade after most people have stopped they'll mrge some servers and have only a few and likely go free to play ... but by then there will probabyl be a world of warcraft 2 ... unless they kee what they did with 4.01 where they upgrade game engines then there would be no need for differnt vertions... if this is the case expect it to be around at least another 20 years

G

4.03a is before Cataclysm. Likely next week, and includes the re-done zones. The Cataclysm release on Dec. 7 will include new higher level content.

dauthus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
WoW has been a complete mess since patch 4.0 went live. Aside from numerous game breaking glitches which blizzard should be ashamed of, class balance has been completely out of whack. Oh yeah, no arena for 2+ months is also ridiculous. At this point, everyone is just dying for cataclysm to go live.

The most depressing aspect of the new expansion? Shadowmourne (legendary weapon) will be replaced by a measly req lvl 83 green =(

Also, WoW is not going to die anytime soon (10+ million subscribers or so, they'd be insane to turn off the servers). Everquest is on it's like 17th expansion and still making money with only like 15 servers left, so do the math.

G

@ ~$15 (USD) per month and 8M subscribers ($120M/mth), worldwide...I can't imagine why Blizz would ever consider "shutting down" WoW. They've invested sooo much in Battlenet...and while I know that Diablo 3 is upcoming, they'll still have all that bandwidth. And since D3 isn't going to be an MMO, it seems like Blizz would milk the WoW cash cow til it runs dry.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]While I have not played it in years. Still amazes me that WoW is still going. Wonder when it will finally breathes its last? Any bets on that?[/citation]
Many years from now. There's still millions of players last I heard, and even MMO's that should have been dead years ago (starwars galaxies) are still around. I bet it will still exist in 2020.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
i've played many mmo games, never played wow though. buddy of mine plays it and i've seen alot of the endgame content. the pvp content of the end game is sorely lacking imo.

tbh about the best pvp i've seen in an mmo has got to be Dark Age of Camelot, their pve content is what killed that game though.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
dauthus its called progression. yes there have been some bugs since the patches. however i doubt shadowmourne will be replaces by a green but it should be replaces by a lvl 85 blue and stomped by a lvl 85 epic, as it should be. wow is a progressive game, whats the best today is just good tomorrow and common in 6 months its how they keep the hardcore players and the casual players all happy.

there wouldn't be any fun to lvl from 80-85 and have to wait till raid content to get any upgrades.

they learned from burning crusade where people were replacing tier 3 with lvl 63 and 64 blues i know i was sad to replace my bonesythe gear and it looked worse... but stats were better and i was partially happy to get an upgrade at all. in wotlk you could use hyjal blakc temple and sunwell gear well into the game often up to instances in the later lvls round 78.

i'm sure as cata is 80-85 you'll see upgrades fro low lvl raid gear in first few lvls and icc upgrades more lvl 85 instance/heroics

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]i've played many mmo games, never played wow though. buddy of mine plays it and i've seen alot of the endgame content. the pvp content of the end game is sorely lacking imo.tbh about the best pvp i've seen in an mmo has got to be Dark Age of Camelot, their pve content is what killed that game though.[/citation]
Asheron's Call was the best MMO... (i bet i am alone on that one) It is still running, but should have been shut off 5 years ago.

I played WoW for 10 months when it first came out, then i bot it for a year maxed all my char slots in 12 days each, the game is dull and boring. It truely is a waste of life.

I have played a lot of MMO's (and bot as well) (maybe 12+) I realy feel WoW was not in the top 5! It is too linear, designed from a cookie cutter.

10 million subs cant be wrong but they can be uninformed or inexperienced.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Over the year's I've heard that they have planned for the max level to be 100. At one of the Blizzcons, they had a "outline" of all the future patches and instances and such (I have it on the BC Collectors DVD) - and of course as time goes by things change. Kara was suppose to be the "End Raid" of TBC - but ended up moving to be the entry raid.

This Expansion being only 5 levels instead of 10. (Which actually tells me they are planning on stretching it out a bit - I can see the next expansion being 86-90)

As long as their subscribers are "in the millions" they will keep the game going. Even if they limit it to level 100 - I can see them adding new zones and even extending more "Outlands" thru different portals (also alluded to at one of the Blizzcons).

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]...I played WoW for 10 months when it first came out, then i bot it for a year maxed all my char slots in 12 days each, the game is dull and boring.[/citation]
Gonna have to call BS on that.. 50 characters at 12 days each is 600 days, which fits in your math except that its 8+ hours a day for almost 2 years straight.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]...then i bot it for a year maxed all my char slots in 12 days each, the game is dull and boring.[/citation]

Do you think the "bot" part might in some way be related to the after which "is dull and boring" part?

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

It's funny how all the people that don't actually read the quests and actually follow the storyline - think it's boring.

/big sigh

morphling8

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]It's funny how all the people that don't actually read the quests and actually follow the storyline - think it's boring. /big sigh[/citation]

Funny how you think because you are into a poorly written fictional story line that everyone must be.

Or people play the game for the other 50 things blizzard has designed to be enormous time sinks and just do the leveling grind to be able to do them.

morphling8

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
[citation][nom]redboots238[/nom]4.03a is before Cataclysm. Likely next week, and includes the re-done zones. The Cataclysm release on Dec. 7 will include new higher level content.[/citation]

Quoted for truth. Article is incorrect.

G

Uhm well id say about 4-5 more years max (only if Cataclysm is good) i started when BC came out quit after i got 70 then LK came out Made a DK got it to 80 now its very boring so idk im planning on getting a "Worgen" (New race from Cataclysm)and getting it to 80 then most likley quit.

G

biggheroUhm well id say about 4-5 more years max (only if Cataclysm is good) i started when BC came out quit after i got 70 then LK came out Made a DK got it to 80 now its very boring so idk im planning on getting a "Worgen" (New race from Cataclysm)and getting it to 80 then most likley quit.[/citation]
@ Parrdacc

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
My wife and I have been waiting for the expansion to drop. We haven't played much at all in months. I have a feeling this will probably be the last expansion for me as the game has become long in the tooth. I did jump on the 4.0.3a PTR recently to check all the newness out and they have really dumbed the game down even more. As soon as you accept a quest, not only do you know where to go, all mobs to kill are marked AND depending on the quest, the items to pick up are marked with a yellow arrow over it.....

I remember the days when herbing was a pita because the plants didn't "glitter" and you had to look closely for them. I think I liked WoW more back then when you actually had to try. Now the game is idiot proof so even a 5 year old could reach max level.

G

I cannot believe some of the people posting in/on here. WoW has 12 million subscribers. 10 million more than any other MMO in the world....Lineage had 2million subscribers at its peak. Also for those who say it will be dead with servers off in 5 years think again. Games like EQ,AC, and Ultima online ...which is still available in 2d are still going strong 10-14 years after released. WoW will be around for a long long time to come. Some people dont play WoW for how "hard" it is or for the challenge some people play for the social aspect. I play now casually with my fiance for fun and to play casually/socially. I was in Death and Taxes many years ago ...the #1 guild in the world. I can see both sides of the argument but WoW is still fun and no other mmo compares. Until one does WoW is NEVER going to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.