News New Xbox dev kit certified for testing in South Korea, console refresh could come this year

Giroro

Splendid
I'm going to laugh when the new dev kit is just the current dev kit, but with a piece of plastic glued over the disc drive to stop people from using it.
Because we already know the next XSeX is just the current one but with the disc drive removed, possibly at an even higher price.

We may never know for sure about the new devkit, though. If developers were interested in Xbox, then one would think we would have gotten some worthwhile games over the last 4 years. Maybe instead of doubling down on unpopular, Microsoft should return to the 5 year cycle and start over from scratch in 18 months.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I haven't been this uninterested in new game consoles since the Atari 5200. The Xbox Series X is just a faster Xbox One and the PS5 is just a faster PS4. Both the PS5 and Series X handle 4K just fine for 99% of the users out there and I don't think a PS5 Pro or Series X+will get 8K @ 60FPS despite some rumors claiming so, it will likely be 30 FPS given the leaked hardware specs. Given I'm not really sure why most users would want to upgrade other than to say they have the 'best'.

A new Nintendo Switch on the other hand I can see. Hardware wise. the current Switch closer a Xbox 360 and a PS3 than modern console.

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I haven't been this uninterested in new game consoles since the Atari 5200. The Xbox Series X is just a faster Xbox One and the PS5 is just a faster PS4. Both the PS5 and Series X handle 4K just fine for 99% of the users out there and I don't think a PS5 Pro or Series X+will get 8K @ 60FPS despite some rumors claiming so, it will likely be 30 FPS given the leaked hardware specs. Given I'm not really sure why most users would want to upgrade other than to say they have the 'best'.

A new Nintendo Switch on the other hand I can see. Hardware wise. the current Switch closer a Xbox 360 and a PS3 than modern console.
I think measuring 8k performance is the absolute stupidest waste of effort. It’s all marketing. Very few people are running 8k and that isn’t going to change drastically in next few years. More people are concerned about color depth and contrast. Which means better texture lighting and anything impacted by hdr is the most important feature to measure. But I guess you can’t measure that as easily. It’s all pretty dumb. No wonder they aren’t selling.