New XLR Mic In sound card has bad quality output audio

ooster

Reputable
May 29, 2014
So I just bought a new Audio Technica AT2020 mic with XLR hook up (not usb) that is plugged into my Sound Blaster ZX sound card and I'm having issues with the mic sounding like I'm under water.

Here's the set up:

AT2020 > XLR female to male XLR cable > Phantom Power AC18v > XLR female to male 6.35mm pin > "module" 6.35mm in 3.5mm out. Comes with the card (Just a volume dial with audio in and out) > Sound Blaster ZX with 3.5mm input.

So that's how it's wired to my pc, sorry if that's kind of confusing to read. I am using a pop filter and my sound cards driver is up to date. I did buy this card new in 2014 so it is 4 years old idk how i could tell if the card is bad or not, audio out sounds just as good as it did when i bought it.

Do I have issues with my cable set up? Or is a Sound Blaster ZX not sufficient enough for audio out for this mic.

Thanks

ooster

Reputable
May 29, 2014

Is it possible to set my mic set up through my PCIe sound card though, not on a separate usb sound card/audio interface?

And if for whatever reason I absolutely need the audio interface to set the mic up properly, is it possible to still have my mic managed by my PCIe sound card? That was the whole purpose of why i bought the non USB AT2020. Because I'm assuming that USB connector/a USB interface are essentially their own sound cards in away. Which I don't want.