Newb Memory Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjswans

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Here's what I have so far for my second build, first true enthusiast build: sabertooth z77, i5 3570k, 1 evga geforce 670, 1 ssd, 1hdd, 1 cd rw, 750w 80+gold psu. Will be used mostly for gaming, hopefully some video editing as well. I'm having trouble understanding the difference between different memory brands and measurements. Id like 16 gb (2x 8gb) just so we're set for the future. Any suggestions as to the best memory brand/kit for my setup?

Solution

any good 1.5v or less 1600 ram will be fine..start with the vendor qa list. for ram. it have a list of memory that been tested in the motherboard and if you can run 2/3 or 4 dimms in the mb. most of the new ram is using samaung chips that are less then 1.5v. the newer samsung ram is very...

any good 1.5v or less 1600 ram will be fine..start with the vendor qa list. for ram. it have a list of memory that been tested in the motherboard and if you can run 2/3 or 4 dimms in the mb. most of the new ram is using samaung chips that are less then 1.5v. the newer samsung ram is very small in hight good to get under cpu heat sinks. the first thing with ram ddr3 is the speed that the ram is rated for.. ie 1066/1333/1600/1800. 1066 is 533 speed inside the ram. 1600 would be 800 speed.
when you go over 1600 speed with an ib chip your going out of the intel spec for the ram controller that built into the cpu. vendors are making faster ram and some faster ram has been qal. but i would stay at 1600 speed to keep your pc stable..if you do want to go with faster ram look int o the 1800 ram. not to many mb are qal for 2000 or faster ram. the other number is those 9-9-9-9- or 11.11.11.11 timing numbers. you dont have to worry about those there just numbers that are used to set timing signals on ram. there not much speed lost on a 11t over a 9t..you wont see it unles you benchmarked two ram kits of the same size and bus speed and one had lower timing. gsill..kingston..crucial all make good ram...im more of a curicail low profile person.
the last build i found gskill customer support lacking and there rma dept lacking. bought a 16g kit. 4 buy 4 gig ram for my mb. found out the ram kit has issues..works fine with 2 dimms but not four..told the rma person need another kit (over 30 days from new egg return). sent in printout of the mb qal list with there ram underlined..so that i could get 4 of any of the other kits.
week latter i get the same model ram back..(new kit). called up the rma dept and ask did they not see the notes and print out i sent with the ram?? was not to happy with gskills over there error. I have two spare dimms

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.