[SOLVED] Newbie asking for input on wich wifi card to buy

Solution
Depends on what you mean worse and it depends on your router.

The asus has 3 antenna and can run 3x3 mimo. The tplink only has 2 so it can only run 2x2. If your router can also run 3x3 mimo in theory at least the asus card should be faster.

Still the key advantage to the asus card is being able to move the antenna away from the back of the case. Desktops are huge chucks of metal that block wifi signals so it is best if the antenna are moved away.

Ralston18

Titan
Current connections being:

ISP ---->Modem----->[WAN] Router [LAN] --- ethernet cables ----> wired devices and

~~~~ wireless ~~~~ > Netgear wn2500 [LAN] ---- ethernet ---> your pc

Correct and edit my line diagram as necessary.

What make and model router do you have?

If the objective is direct wireless between router and pc then I would recommend a wifi card that is made by the router's manufacturer.

Main reason being that if you mix manufacturers and have problems the manufacturers' are likely to just blame each other.

Also moving your post to wireless networking - more applicable forum.

Jul 20, 2020
Current connections being:

ISP ---->Modem----->[WAN] Router [LAN] --- ethernet cables ----> wired devices and

~~~~ wireless ~~~~ > Netgear wn2500 [LAN] ---- ethernet ---> your pc

Correct and edit my line diagram as necessary.

What make and model router do you have?

If the objective is direct wireless between router and pc then I would recommend a wifi card that is made by the router's manufacturer.

Main reason being that if you mix manufacturers and have problems the manufacturers' are likely to just blame each other.

Also moving your post to wireless networking - more applicable forum.
diagram seem ok
That is the objective, but its a router made by the isp, (Telenor) so there is no same manufacturer.
I cannnot use my own router since i don't own the network, my landlord does.
Their routers do tend to be decent though. Whatever decent is

The asus card you list is one of the top rated cards. The key thing that makes it perform well are the remote antenna connections.

The other card you list is wifi6. It is highly unlikely the ISP router runs wifi6 so it will drop back to 802.11ac so you paid extra and the card will run like a much cheaper card.

I would not buy wifi6 unless you can actually use it today. Very "soon" wifi6e devices will be on the market making wifi6 cards obsolete.

Jul 20, 2020
The asus card you list is one of the top rated cards. The key thing that makes it perform well are the remote antenna connections.

The other card you list is wifi6. It is highly unlikely the ISP router runs wifi6 so it will drop back to 802.11ac so you paid extra and the card will run like a much cheaper card.

I would not buy wifi6 unless you can actually use it today. Very "soon" wifi6e devices will be on the market making wifi6 cards obsolete.

it doesn't support wifi6, did not know about wifi6e though, thanks for that :)
Well, then half my reasoning to buy the tp link kind of goes away, since the reason was "futureproofing"

Would the tp link would perform "worse" than the asus under .11ac?

Depends on what you mean worse and it depends on your router.

The asus has 3 antenna and can run 3x3 mimo. The tplink only has 2 so it can only run 2x2. If your router can also run 3x3 mimo in theory at least the asus card should be faster.

Still the key advantage to the asus card is being able to move the antenna away from the back of the case. Desktops are huge chucks of metal that block wifi signals so it is best if the antenna are moved away.

Solution