[SOLVED] Newbie help ssd

Sep 17, 2020
Hello all,

First of, please don’t flame me i’m a complete noob at this 😔
So i have a 2012 macbook pro, dual boot with windows 10, which is abnormally slow, so i wanted to give an ssd a try. Today i got my 500gb samsung 860 evo. After reading a lot about cloning softwares, it looked like a piece of cake, with a usb to sata adapter. I installed samsung’s data migration on win10 and everything seemed fine. Restarted my pc and logged in on mac os, and installed Carbon Copy Cloner to do the same thing for the mac os side. I can choose a source (Macintosh HD) but cannot choose the target. Instead of showing samsung 860 evo ssd, it changed to windows 10. I got back to windows and formatted the ssd via this pc, it’s completely empty now, but still shows the windows 10 name. I’m at a complete loss, hope someone can point me in the right direction. Also downloaded samsung’s magician for a secure erase, but it says that it isn’t possible. Thx for the read/help, sorry for the long post.

Solution
The cloning is finished. Swapped the drives, and damn. I get a bluescreen ‘pc needs to be recovered’.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Press enter to try again, or press F8 for reboot settings, both don’t work. When pressing the ‘alt’ button on reboot, for the dual boot, i only see windows, no mac.
During the clone process, you selected ALL partitions on the drive?

If so, maybe this wasn't meant to be.
Cloning can be great, when conditions are perfect.
An 8 year old mac, dual booting between macos and Windows...those conditions are not perfect.
Sep 17, 2020
Given a Samsung SSD, do the clone thing from within Windows, with the Samsung Data Migration tool.

If the Samsung Data Migration won't also include the mac partitions, then use Macrium Reflect.
It’s cloning with Macrium Reflect now, hope that this will work ☺️

Sep 17, 2020
The cloning is finished. Swapped the drives, and damn. I get a bluescreen ‘pc needs to be recovered’.
Press enter to try again, or press F8 for reboot settings, both don’t work. When pressing the ‘alt’ button on reboot, for the dual boot, i only see windows, no mac.

USAFRet

Titan

An 8 year old mac, dual booting between macos and Windows...those conditions are not perfect.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020

Yep, selected all partitions. Maybe it’s better to completely delete windows, and go further with mac 😔