[SOLVED] Newbie here- I'm trying to build a PC, not sure if motherboard chipset & graphic card chipset need to match. Advice would be appreciated.

Aug 19, 2022
I'm trying to put together a PC for the first time, and I am having problems choosing some components. I don't know if I need to match the chipset of my motherboard and my graphics card, so please help!
My list so far: CPU, RAM, SSD, & motherboard. I was going with the AMD Radeon HD 5770 graphics card, but again, I am new to this, so I am not sure if I'm doing things right or not.

Solution
Ahh. Well budget and decision on monitor combined with wants will greatly affect the build. A 1440p/144Hz gaming monitor combined with hoping to get most games around refresh (100fps +) is an entirely different build and cost than a 1080p/60Hz monitor or TV and wanting to get 50fps+. With the first, you'd be looking at the $1500+ range, before monitor cost, the second could be as low as @ $800 after monitor cost.

So before shopping for parts, you'll need to decide what the budget should be roughly, and what (if any) expectations you'll have for the games you want to play.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to put together a PC for the first time, and I am having problems choosing some components. I don't know if I need to match the chipset of my motherboard and my graphics card, so please help!
My list so far: CPU, RAM, SSD, & motherboard. I was going with the AMD Radeon HD 5770 graphics card, but again, I am new to this, so I am not sure if I'm doing things right or not.
Your motherboard CPU and RAM should work together. Used parts is always a gamble.
Your HD5770 GPU is probably slower than the integrated graphics in your CPU -- https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-AMD-HD-5770/m401440vsm7752

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Here's an example of compatible components.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($176.33 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $692.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-19 19:56 EDT-0400

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. Well budget and decision on monitor combined with wants will greatly affect the build. A 1440p/144Hz gaming monitor combined with hoping to get most games around refresh (100fps +) is an entirely different build and cost than a 1080p/60Hz monitor or TV and wanting to get 50fps+. With the first, you'd be looking at the $1500+ range, before monitor cost, the second could be as low as @ $800 after monitor cost.

So before shopping for parts, you'll need to decide what the budget should be roughly, and what (if any) expectations you'll have for the games you want to play.

Solution