Question Newbie needs help connecting case fans

Jul 28, 2022
Building a computer for the first time. Upon connecting case fans to the fan headers on a Gigabyte 360M H motherboard, I found they would not spin. The CPU fan I connected to the CPU fan header did spin. The case fans I am using are Noctua NF-S12B non-PWM fans. I just need them to spin at their slow speed continuously. Is there something I am missing here? Do the case fans get their power from the fan headers or do I need to plug another cable from the PSU?

Case fans should work with only a direct connection to the fan header on the motherboard.

I'd guess they aren't connected correctly.

Do you have fan controls in the motherboard's BIOS?

That's an older motherboard...I assume it is used. Have any case fans ever worked properly on that motherboard as far as you know?

Jul 28, 2022
I will try different fans connected to the headers. There is only one way to plug them in so I believe they are connected properly. That was my next question -- do I need to go into the BIOS and check what the default fan control is?

I just plugged one of the case fans into the CPU fan socket and it worked, so there is nothing physically wrong with the case fans.

Okay, problem solved. The case fans being non - PWM, have 3 PINS, not 4 so the right 3 pins must be plugged into the fan header or they do not spin.

Reactions: Lafong