[SOLVED] Newbie question regardaing voltages

mikewhatever

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020
I know more or less nothing about voltages and rails etc, sorry!

I had a case fan (my only case fan) fail quite a long time ago when i noticed my GPU overheating, so replaced the fan asap but a year down the line my monitor occasionaly flickers and the GPU still hits 60-70C degrees even on the less taxing games but hits 80C+ when i turn up the quality settings. My GPU is a GTX 1070 so 70C is okay, 80C is starting to push it though.

So as somebody who doesn't know about voltages my 12v in bios is totally stable at 11.952v, never flickers. But using HW monitor my CPU voltage varies from 0.768v to 1.2v and the GPU 0.625v to 0.8v. Do you think my PSU is damaged from that overheating when the case fan failed or is that a normal fluctuation?

Appreciate all help as usual ty all

Solution
Those voltages are fine, if anything the GPU's max voltage should be 1.093v. So your high temps might be coming from your GPU fan either: not spinning fast enough, is too dusty and needs to be cleaned, or simply not getting enough airflow.

Your GPU's thermal paste might also be evaporating, you'll want to ideally re-paste your GPU every 3-5 years of usage to keep it at its best.

So overall your CPU and PSU seem fine, your GPU on the other hand gets pretty hot, max temps for Nvidia GPU's are around 85-88C so it's not exactly worrying, but you might wnat to look into what I wrote above.
Those voltages are fine, if anything the GPU's max voltage should be 1.093v. So your high temps might be coming from your GPU fan either: not spinning fast enough, is too dusty and needs to be cleaned, or simply not getting enough airflow.

Your GPU's thermal paste might also be evaporating, you'll want to ideally re-paste your GPU every 3-5 years of usage to keep it at its best.

So overall your CPU and PSU seem fine, your GPU on the other hand gets pretty hot, max temps for Nvidia GPU's are around 85-88C so it's not exactly worrying, but you might wnat to look into what I wrote above.

Solution

mikewhatever

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020

Thanks, I did clean out all the fans a few days ago but i'll look into getting new thermal paste, maybe get new fans. I've never tried changing fans and thermal paste on a GPU,but i guess it's basically the same as replacing CPU fans?
GPUs are still crazy prices so if i get another year out of my 1070 i'll be happy :)

Reactions: Newtonius

mikewhatever

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020

finally got around to replacing the gpu fans and while the gpu is a bit cooler the voltages are the same. cooler is better though, it is a 5-6 year old PC, ty for the advice

Reactions: Newtonius