newbie wants to build computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Huh thanks for your post.
I may try the raid congfiguration because I want to see what it can do plus another challenge! As for the Raptor I didnt go for them; from what I read they wont make that much of a difference?

I ordered everything that i could think of but now I need to decide on what OS to run XP home or Professional? I have never heard the reasons why to run PRO but most people prefer it to home. Why is that and remember I am completely lost in the was computer programs.

Thanks again for your reply Huh.

Molar

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
In my opinion, I would use Pro if I was running a network or was planning on networking several computers at a later date. If I was running a single stand alone computer I would go with Home.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Molar, if you're going to mess with RAID, then make sure to have a floppy with the RAID drivers handy when you go to do the Windows install. There's some F_ key that you have to hit to load those drivers, or else Windows won't recognize that you have any hard drives to install it on to. :O For that matter, make sure to set up your RAID array as bootable. That helps too. ;)

-----
200,000 miles or bust!
<pre><font color=white>Antec Sonata, 2x120mm fans, P4C 2.6GHz, Asus P4P800Dlx,
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2 in DC, Leadtek A6600GT TDH, 2xHitachi 60GB in RAID1</font color=white></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In my opinion, I would use Pro if I was running a network or was planning on networking several computers at a later date. If I was running a single stand alone computer I would go with Home.
Even this isn't as true anymore. :\ I have Pro because I felt like it. My wife has Home. I <i>used</i> to use my Pro box for running my home network. (With a few Win9x boxes as well.) Then I got a broadband router that acts as a DHCP server and now <i>it</i> runs my network. :O

-----
200,000 miles or bust!
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2 in DC, Leadtek A6600GT TDH, 2xHitachi 60GB in RAID1</font color=white></pre><p>

RichPLS

Champion
XP Pro has better security features, but programs that run on XP work with Pro or Home. Drivers are the same, I would get the Pro version.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

if you're going to mess with RAID, then make sure to have a floppy with the RAID drivers handy when you go to do the Windows install. There's some F_ key that you have to hit to load those drivers, or else Windows won't recognize that you have any hard drives to install it on to.
F6 key to load the drivers. This applies to RAID from a chip that is on the mobo, but is not on the chipset, like the Sil 3114 on some mobos.

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Even this isn't as true anymore. :\ I have Pro because I felt like it. My wife has Home. I used to use my Pro box for running my home network. (With a few Win9x boxes as well.) Then I got a broadband router that acts as a DHCP server and now it runs my network. :O
I guess I wasn't clear about what I meant by networking. I too have a router that I use to network my computers. I have a W2K and a XP Home machine on my network. What I haven't figured out in home is how to share the drives. I want my W2K computer to see my XP Home drives. I want to put both machines on the same domain and in XP Home you can't do that.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
F6 key to load the drivers. This applies to RAID from a chip that is on the mobo, but is not on the chipset, like the Sil 3114 on some mobos.
Hey, that's the ticket. :) It's been a while since I had to do this myself. At the time I had my drivers on a CD, since, you know, that's what people distribute with these days.

The real pain in the arse part is making sure that your system has a floppy drive to even do this with. Gee, thanks MS for not modernizing that part any. :\

-----
200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What I haven't figured out in home is how to share the drives. I want my W2K computer to see my XP Home drives. I want to put both machines on the same domain and in XP Home you can't do that.
Any reason why you're using a domain over a workgroup?

And then there's always "\\computername\C$". Thank you ever so much MS for inventing supposedly hidden internally created shares that you can't delete without f-ing up Windows and you can't protect either. :(

-----
200,000 miles or bust!

It's amazing that an $8 piece of 20 year old tech can kill a modern config...I still keep at least one of them laying around the house somewhere.
<pre>probably find it between the couch pillows...</pre><p>__________________________________________________
<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's amazing that an $8 piece of 20 year old tech can kill a modern config...I still keep at least one of them laying around the house somewhere.
Hell, I have a computer graveyard full of them. **ROFL** But still, every system I build I make sure to include one ... just in case. I mean it's not like they're expensive and you never know when you might want/need one. :O

<pre>probably find it between the couch pillows...</pre><p>
Maybe it's trying to breed with the remote control?

-----
200,000 miles or bust!

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Alright need to make sure I understand this. Floppy hopefully = 1.44 disk drive(ahh saying that kind of reminds me of the good ol comadore 128 days!) and my mobo should have that set up/disk? Funny I talk to patients about saving teeth and what not only to look at them and think I lost them at hello due to my fancy wordsmI paid alot for. Well the shoe is on the other foot because some of the suggestions have lost me at HELLO.

After I feel my computer hardward is complete I start the rig up and check bios? This is where I will be leaning on Maximum PC computer builder. I know you walk me through the whole blasting thing but give me a somewhat brief run down of steps.

I truely appreciate all the help.

One thing that this newbee learned was that not all 24 pin connectors can power the SLI-Deluxe boards, had to switch from a true power to a neophyte 480w. Its amazing that there are so many ways to build a computer that only now do I understand why people have such broad thoughts about what is good vs bad.

Thanks again to all The resident and not so resident TOMMIES!

Molar

Maybe it's trying to breed with the remote control?
The damn cordless phone is jealous the drive moved in on its territory. I think there are turf wars going on over the stale chips and popcorn.

There is a RAID FAQ in the HDD forum - good read!

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Thanks Rugger and everyone else.

I postponed my order due to several things one with the video cards and second is with the power supply.

I planned on getting ATI x850XL ePCI for the SLI ports but come to my lack of looking ATI is not a SLI video card!

I was told to get a Antec Neophyte 480 True power because it will support the new ATX 2.0 power but will that be enough to run two ePCI cards along with 2 hdd, FX55 and other drives? Just want to make sure i get this right.

Thanks for the help/advise.

Molar

endyen

Splendid
If the graphics cards you are now looking at are the 6800 ultras, you will need a bigger psu.
OTOH 2 cards in Sli will only slightly outperform the 850, in some games (Sli enabled) and then, not by much. I dont see the point of going nforce in the high end. Now if you were talking lower mid range, maybe. Upper md goes to the x800xl, high end to the 850PE.

I agree with Endyen on the power issue, X850XT ok, but need more for twin 6800 Ultras. From a price/perf perspective I just don't think that SLI is worth the money. If your question is whether or not the X850XT will work on the an SLI board, the answer is yes. The ATI cards are not SLI capable, but the will work in the PCIe slots of an SLI board. ATI will have AMR, their response to SLI, on the streets here soon, but I don't know dates and haven't seen any reviews. New tech almost always has issues and I don't like paying to be a Beta User - especially considering you'll pay premium prices for the privelage of being the first to use this product. I like to call it the R&D premium.

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Thanks for the vaulable info there. I am going back to the x850 xt and scrapping the dual video cards at this time. The Neophyte 480W should it be enough to run everything or are there suggestions on other PSUs? Thanks for the help.

Molar

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-021&depa=0" target="_new"> This Thermaltake 680 watt PSU </A> will power dual SLI or just about anything you can throw at it. It has 3 - 12 volt rails, and is rock solid.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

But you're gonna pay for it! :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

BunkerGuy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2005
Molar...this is not advise about how to build your computer because I think there is better qualified PPL than me in this forum.
But I can give you advise on how to buy parts from online stores.

My advise is to buy everything from NEWEGG or ZIPZOOMFLY because what you order is what U get and NEWEGG has a fantastic return policy.

Buy everything at once because U have one week to return the CPU if it is DOA and one month the rest of the components. And build the computer as soon as you get the parts because the return policy time is clicking.

RichPLS

Champion
I will vouch for Newegg.com and ZipZoomFly.com, and between the two you can probally find all the components you are looking for.
Order all components at same time, read about hardware and installation though doewnloaded manuals first, then build ASAP after parts arive to test system.

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
LOL!

I orginally orderd everything from Zipzoomfly but after the power issue came about I order it from Newegg. I appreciate your advise because you get what you pay for.

Here is my order:

Sony FD MPF920Z161/131 1.44MB 3.5in Floppy Disk Drive (Beige)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card Retail

Antec P160 Anodized Aluminum Super Mid Tower Case Retail

Arctic Silver Ceramique Premium High Density Thermal Compound 22Gram/Tube Retail

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Xtra-Low Latency Dual-Channel ProSeries Memory w/Heat Spreader 1
Antec Pro 120mm Double Ball Bearing Case Fan Retail

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor Socket 939 Retail 1

Microsoft MultiMedia Keyboard Retail

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce 4 SLI Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA 1

Plextor PX-716SA 4X Internal Serial ATA Dual Layer DVD Drive Retail
Gigabyte GV-RX85T256V Radeon X850 XT PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/HDTV-Out, Dual DVI & VIVO

I am scrapping the Raid set up at this time. I also went with Rich's idea about power unit, thanks.

Still not understanding XP pro and what about cable management once i get things in??? Shrink wrap, plastic ties?